Help for RIR hen and concerned owner

Llbjwb

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2020
Hi everyone. I'm new to this and NOT computer suave so be patient and kind:)
I have 3 RIR hens and 1 Polish rooster. I have had my hens for 5 1/2 years and the rooster for about 6 months.
I also have 4 rescue dogs and all my animals are spoiled, which I believe all animals are a gift from God and should be:):)
I found backyard chickens page just by searching through questions on Google and I really need some help and advice. I am desperate.
On December 9th , my neighbor let her two small pomeranian dogs out without their lead on, all my chickens were minding their own business in my yard under my bird feeder close to my garage when my husband and I heard the commotion. We went outside, 2 hens and rooster had ran in the back yard and one hen, Henrietta, had run in the garage just bawling and trying to fly upon my car. I tried to catch her and settle her down but didn't help. She seemed to settle down and went in the back yard with the others, dogs were gone. The next evening my husband noticed she would only take a couple steps and plop down, so I looked, found a small nickel size sore under left wing, where feathers were pulled out, no puncture wounds. I immediately cleansed the area with antibacterial soap and applied blue kote. Looks good. However she is not walking at all. Can flap her wings, holds her head up, grabs my fingers with her claws, push off with her legs and talks to me. Occasionally falls over to one side with feet straight out but then I reposition her upright. She eats occasionally. Try to give her water with dropper. Took her to vet hospital this past wednesday, x-rays upper and lower were normal, wound looked good but they said they couldn't see due to blue kote but it still looked good????? Placed her on meloxicam so I have been administering this to her twice daily and take her outside for fresh air. It has been one week and she hasn't walked. I'm thinking inflammation maybe and to give the med time to work. She pecks at the ground and appears happy but my heart is broken because she hasn't walked yet. I'm at a loss and am beside myself. If she was lethargic and not eating I would put her down. But other than not walking, she acts normal. She is such a strong girl, I find it hard to believe that the pull of feathers would have hurt her this bad. She ran around playing in the yard up until this happened. Clean the coop every day, don't miss. Has always had fresh water and food. My husband picks on me saying this is the Ritz Carlton of chicken coops that I have ever seen. She is now separated in a kennel in the house in a private area away from everyone except me. So sad😭😭😭 sorry for the length

:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)

Should not say hatching at top
Welcome to BYC. It says hatching at the top because that is your current member point status.
I'm unsure what advice to give about your hen. Did you get soft copies of her X-rays you could post in a new thread in the ER forum for some advice?

Welcome to BYC. It says hatching at the top because that is your current member point status.
I'm unsure what advice to give about your hen. Did you get soft copies of her X-rays you could post in a new thread in the ER forum for some advice?
I did not know I could do that , so no, I did not😭😭😭and can try and pick them up Monday😭😥😥just seems like the vet is ready to give up on her but I'm not. I think she just needs time to heal. She has also not pooped in 24 hours but I contribute that to the medication. Thank you for your advice :)

:welcome:woot:woot:celebrate:yesss:Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Awesome poultry Forum to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members who are more then willing to jump in and help you with any questions you may have. :)
Thank you so much. I absolutely love my animals and want to give them the best care. After a hard day at work , it's so nice to come home and get chicken therapy, lol. Just by watching them in the yard. They even sit in my lap:)

Back
Top Bottom