Help for sick Aracauna approx 4 yrs old

TinaS

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 13, 2011
I rescued an Aracauna from being bullied by 3 other birds. When I picked her up she seemed to be vomiting and her crop was very swollen. I emptied the crop to try to give her relief. It was a green colored liquid with some grain but mostly liquid. I secluded her from the others, gave her clean water and her own food. I also put a small amount of baking soda in the water.
The next day I checked on her and her bottom was crusty so I bathed/dried her and placed her back into her pen. She drinks but won't eat. Her poop is runny with some white but there is a foul odor. She is quiet but every once in a while I can hear her digestive track make a rolling sound.
Today when I let her out by herself she has a new symptom. She stretches her neck out to raise her head and look around but then it seems like she loses control of her neck and it snakes back and forth. When she draws it back she holds it bent.
Her eyes are clear and she appears alert but lethargic, she doesn't seem to be in any obvious pain, there are no injuries that I can see. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Update: She isn't exhibiting the neck swinging..snaking..spasms today..(I don't know a good word to describe it). I sincerely thought I'd find her passed this morning but she greeted me at the door waiting to be let out. She is drinking water and today I see her attempting to forage, picking at things at least and moving around.
I don't know if she's out of the woods but she seems more active. I can only guess that she had/has sour crop.
In case some one else might experience this malady this is what I did. I tipped her to about a 60 degree angle and emptied her crop every time it became overly enlarged and she seemed to swallow a lot. I did the process slowly and allowed her a good amount of time to breathe and relax in between massages.
I put a tiny pinch of baking soda in her water as I read it would reduce the acid in her crop and I have her completely segregated from the flock but behind a wire fence so they can still interact in the yard.
I hope she pulls through and thanks for listening!
jumpy.gif

Sounds like classic sour crop/candida. Did you search BYC for treatment?
Is there a white coating in her mouth and throat? If so, it is candida.

No she has not but I will look into getting the deworming in today. Thank you for responding :)

Back
Top Bottom