Help! Found A Male Silver Pheasant in My Yard!

I appreciate that, Tony, as well as the help you offered by giving me the number of local breeders. Gilbert (the breeder from Somerset) did end up giving Roger (the breeder from Swansea) a call, and we received a call from him. He offered some advice, but he couldn't take the Silver Pheasant because he has no room. He said he would make some calls to other breeders to see if anyone would be willing to take him, but we haven't heard anything further. So, I'm assuming he was unsuccessful in finding any takers. It's really a pity. He's a beautiful bird, but I fear his days are limited. He's not drinking the water I'm putting out, and he barely came to eat today. I went to check on him numerous times, and he was in the brook, just standing on a pile of snow like a statue. It's very sad to see. In addition, I now know he is roosting in my evergreens at times and in the brook at other times. Both spots are low enough for a predator to easily make a meal of him (and we get plenty around here). My husband spoke to someone at the MA Division of Fisheries & Wildlife yesterday, and she said that he more than likely belongs to someone no more than a mile or so away, as they don't tend to travel long distances. She was well aware that he is not a wild pheasant, yet she will not intervene. Instead, she suggested we call the Animal Control Officer for our town, which is laughable since she was of no help whatsoever when we called two previous times. We've also called local vets who care for birds to find out if any of them are aware of any clients who breed Silver Pheasants, but that went as well as every other inquiry we've made for the sake of this bird that no one else seems to care about.

You might try calling Tom Doherty in Westford, MA. He is a major bird guy around here and raises all kinds. Private message me and I can give you his number.

Tom would take him for sure,but it's a far drive for him.There is a meeting in Westford ,Ma this sun that you could find a home for him.Go to www.neasociety.com for info.If you can make it there I will take him.That will cut my drive time in half to Westford.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'm unfamiliar with Westford, MA, but Google is showing it as an hour and a half away without traffic. Due to a medical issue, I can no longer drive long distances, so it would be up to my husband to do it. Even if he was willing to drive 3+ hours, we'd never be able to fit the large trap in our small car, assuming we could even trap him at all on Sunday.

Maybe I can make a road trip if you don't find a home for him.It would be on a sat if that will work for you?Well as long as the snow cooperates..
In N.H.,Tony.

Let's see what happens over the next few days. Roger still has one more breeder to try, and I will have my husband call your friend tomorrow. We just picked up a decent amount of food for him tonight, which might appeal to him more than the wild bird food. The large bowls that we bought tonight might help, also. I would imagine he was probably accustomed to eating out of a feeder of some sort rather than from the ground. We'll be buying some metal bins tomorrow to store the bags of food in our shed. Hopefully, the Purina Flock Raiser will be closer to what he was accustomed to eating. If we can't get him placed soon, and you would still be willing to come and get him, we would compensate you for gas, and give you whatever food we've purchased, since we wouldn't anticipate any other runaway pheasants showing up in our yard.

Just a quick update... The Silver Pheasant was last seen at noon on Wednesday. On Wednesday evening, we purchased 50 lbs. of Purina Flock Raiser, 50 lbs. of cracked corn, a bag of grit, two large bowls, and two metal bins to store everything in our shed. I put a nice bowl of food and fresh water out early in the morning hours yesterday. Everything was so iced over that I couldn't even walk on it with my good boots. So, I actually had to put on snowshoes to get across our bridge to the area where the Silver was coming to. No doubt my neighbors probably think I've lost my mind. At any rate, everyone has been eating the food--everyone except the pheasant that is. We even had four ducks show up yesterday afternoon to get a nice meal. However, the Silver is no where to be found. Usually, if he wasn't near/under my evergreens, he was in a particular spot in the brook under some coverage. He isn't there either. He had been coming regularly since his arrival last Friday. So, the fact that we haven't seen him at all in almost 48 hours is not very encouraging.

On a side note, my husband spoke to your friend last night, Tony. He is willing to take the Silver. But, as luck would have it, the Silver is currently not around. I'm hoping against all odds that he is okay and shows up. If he does, we will buy a trap from Home Depot to try to trap him. Your friend said we could use one that he has, but if the Silver shows up, I just want to get a trap set up as quickly as possible, and the quickest way to do that is to buy it ourselves. I'd rather not buy it until we actually see him, however, as we just spent a small fortune at Tractor Supply Co., and it is very likely it was all for naught.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say a big "THANK YOU" for all you've done for this bird. Seldom would anyone go to the trouble and expense that you folks have. It's just nice to see that there are some good people left. Silvers are pretty hardy birds and the chances that he has found a habitat to his liking is pretty good. I hope he gets a chance to visit you again.

Thank you! That's very kind of you to write, but I couldn't imagine not trying to help him. I've spent many nights since January 30th worrying about him. I hope he's okay. Unfortunately, he has not come back, but my husband put on the snowshoes on Friday and went walking through the wooded area to the right of our property to look for signs of him (or signs of trouble). He found nothing. So, I'm hoping that he figured out how to get home. I confess that I really miss seeing him around. What a beauty he was! Well, we have plenty of food should he decide to grace us with his presence again. :) Thanks to everyone who offered advice, and an extra thanks to Tony for providing us with the numbers of local breeders.

Hi, You mention about using a raccoon size box trap and that is what I would use. Bait it with a small container of feed like cracked corn. You will most likely catch it in time. If you don't catch it the pheasant will most likely not survive long with the predators that are around.

Back
Top Bottom