Help! Found A Male Silver Pheasant in My Yard!

That Raccoon Size trap would have worked. I have personally used them to catch Lady Amherst Pheasant which is a little smaller however not that much. When we offer suggestions they will work because we have tried them. The bird would not be moving around much in the trap however he would not be in there very long if the trap is checked on a regular basis.

Well, I may not raise and breed pheasants, but I know an incredibly nervous and stressed bird when I see one. Aside from the 6 days he went missing, I've been watching him like a hawk since January 30th. He was nice and plump when he arrived. He has since dropped a lot of weight. It's cold as anything here and we're covered with snow. He most certainly can't afford to lose more weight. Therefore, I don't have all the time in the world to hope he goes into a tight cage that he jumps and runs from every time he goes near the doorway. If it'll be less intimidating for him to attempt to venture into a more roomy cage, then that, in my opinion, is the better choice. He also could be sitting in a trap (in my shed) for a while, just waiting on someone to come and get him. I'd rather his tail not be pinned by a trap door, and that he have a bit more room for comfort. And let's remember that this isn't a pheasant who wandered a short way from his enclosure. He doesn't know the area, and he's trying to survive in a less than ideal environment. He's really stressed, and it shows. I'm not going to gamble with how much time he may have left, and based on what I'm seeing, he's not going into that small trap anytime soon.

I don't know how you guys even function with all that snow you've been getting, and now even more coming. If you know where this guy spends the night your best bet is to waite until it gets late (real dark) and catch him with a big net. I've caught lots of escapees that way, but not in snow. If you catch him and don't find a suitable home for the little guy and care to ship him, I will pay for the shipping. He will never see snow again and have lots of girl Lady Amherst friends. I do hope it works out for the best for you and for him.

I really wish it was that easy. Unfortunately, I have no idea exactly where he is roosting, and with all the snow we've had dumped on us (well over 2 feet by now), it's nearly impossible to move around my own yard, especially since everything is iced over due to consistently frigid weather. Forget trying to get into the wooded area or brook. Also, we have coyotes out here at night, and I don't fancy running into a pack of them.

We did return the smaller trap to Lowe's, and the larger one that I ordered from Amazon arrived yesterday. It is a much better size for him, and it's also much sturdier than the one we returned. I can't say with any certainty that he'll venture into it, but I do believe he'd be more likely to go into the larger one. If he does, he'll be far more comfortable in it than he ever would have been in the smaller one. And if we can get someone to pick him up, they stand to gain a very nice (costly) trap free of charge, plus money for the cost of gas, as we definitely can't get this trap in our car.

Thank you, deserthotwings, for offering to pay the cost of shipping him to you should no one come to get him. I really wouldn't want to put him through that. So, I'm hoping someone will definitely be willing to pick him up should we capture him. He's a beautiful bird! I've gotten him to come out to me twice now. He keeps a bit of a distance, but he has come out to get the special treats I throw to him. I'm hoping if I keep doing that, he'll see me as the Treat Lady and not spook so easily when I come around.

Just sprinkle a little scratch grain or cracked corn around the front of your trap leading to the main course that is on or near the activation mechanism. A thin little trail of food will entice him to come into the trap. I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed for you and him.

Yes, that is what I did with the small trap, but he was having none of it. He may be more willing with the larger one, but I will probably have to wait until at least Tuesday to get it out there, as anyone who may come to get him will want to wait for roads to be properly plowed first. We also may be hit with more snow Tuesday into Wednesday. So this weather is only exacerbating the problems with capturing this bird. Our yard:

Maybe if you open the gate and set the trap right in the pathway of the gat he will walk right in.Deserthotwings it.s a silver pheasant not an Amherst.If you catch him call me I sent my cell I will come and get him.
In N.H.,Tony.

He really never ventures to the area where the bridge and gate are. He did it once when the squirrel was flipping out in the trap. The Silver got spooked over all the ruckus and ran to that side of my property. He usually always stays on the far right side of the row of evergreens across the brook. So, I was putting the trap in that area, which is where he also knows to find his bowl (will attach pic). Is the area he frequents the best place to continue to put the trap?

He hasn't come to eat at all today. I hope he's okay...

If we trap him, Tony, my husband will call you. They don't seem to be predicting snow for Tuesday anymore.

Back
Top Bottom