Help, found a nest of RIR eggs-possibly fertile!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chicks & ducks, Aug 22, 2010.

1. chicks & ducks

chicks & ducks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2010
    We have 4 20+ week old hens and 1 20+ week old rooster(who LIKES to SHAG!) He's always after the chickens and occasionally will even go after a duck.

Anyway we found a nest of 12 eggs hidden away. The chickens will occasionally lay in their nesting box but apparently prefer this one out in the grass(they free range in the day). We would love to have baby chicks but I can't afford an incubator at this time.

What should I do!?
    I've tried candleing them but some are very dark and difficult to see through. Some are very clear(easy to see through, not clear in colour if you know what I mean). Some even look vein-y! For now I've taken the eggs and put them back all in the nesting box with a freshly laid egg. The momma who laid that egg didn't seem to want to leave the nest after laying it so I'm hoping she's feeling a bit broody and will sit on all of these.
    I really don't know what to do! (She's down, out and about walking around now-just checked)

fyi it's been 90 degrees and very humid lately. This past week was 80's and humid and the week before was 90's. We have no idea how long the eggs have been there but the chickens are only just over 20 weeks so haven't been laying eggs long.

Any suggestions?

P.S. a couple of the eggs were 'double yolkers'-is it worth keeping them-can a chick even grow in there if there's an extra yolk in the way?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    In a double yolker there won't be an extra yolk in the way- there will be a twin in the way! Some people have successfully hatched double yolker eggs, but they will have to have help to hatch because living space becomes too cramped for them to move to zip.

As for what to do... well, if you haven't got an incubator there's really nothing you CAN do except hope the hen sitting on them stays sitting on them.

3. WVchick71

WVchick71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Small Town
    Hi, I didnt want to put out the cash for an incubator so, I made my own! I bought a styrofoam cooler ($2.50) , a cheap picture frame ($1.00), a 15 watt bulb ($1.00), from the Dollar store in town. I got a fan from an old computer that I kept but was never going to use, found a wall cord from an old cordless phone station , and I used the lamp part of one of my heat lamps (without the silver reflector on it), Duct tape and carpenters glue, and rabbit wire that I had already. I also picked my Thermometer/Hygrometer at walmart for like $6-$8. I found several homemade ones on the net and Kinda altered them and made my own. Here is a link to one they show on U Tube. and here is a link to more of the info I found http://www.ehow.com/way_5788526_easy-build-chicken-incubators.html I have hatched twice from this and even made a second one. I can fit about a dozen in mine. I keep the temp between 99-101 and humidity around 50-60 % for days 1-18 and then about 75% at lockdown. My first hatch was 9 of 12 eggs. I am thinking about making a bit bigger one at some point out of an old red cooler I have in the garage. lol Maybe you could grab some old stuff you have around and make your own!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by