Help...Found Chicken in Forest Preserve *UPDATE*(Has a Home)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChrisWood, May 6, 2007.

1. ChrisWood

ChrisWood New Egg

May 6, 2007
    It appears as though someone let their pet(?) chicken loose in the local forest preserve. I believe it to be a White Rock. We found a cardboard box nearby with dry droppings.

What should I do? I've been calling around, and no one seems to want to help. I'm in suburban Chicago and live in an apartment with no room to offer hospitality.

**Update...

Local animal shelter here in Chicago just happened to have a contact, who owns a very small farm, that rescues farm animals. In fact, just last month this person rescued two ducks that someone had left.

So this abandoned chicken now has a new home!

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, I really appreciate your help....and so does Forest!

Last edited: May 8, 2007
  2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    This is just to sad. Sounds like another Easter chick that outgrew its welcome. Try the Humane Society maybe they can help.

3. ChrisWood

ChrisWood New Egg

May 6, 2007
    It really IS sad. This chicken looks healthy, and pretty well cared for. No tags, so I'm guessing it was a pet. So far, we've called the Humane Society and local rescues....to no avail.

4. Oaknim

Oaknim Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2007
    Sylvia, KS
    If you can't get a local humane society or animal rescue to help you, you might try contacting Farm Sanctuary, their website is:

http://www.farmsanctuary.org

Their phone number is: 607-583-2225. Hope this helps. ~ Oaknim

5. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Maybe try Petfinders, or very last resort: Freecycle in you area. Wish I was in your area to take it- we love chickens [​IMG]

6. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    It's so great of you to try to help this poor bird!

I would call around to the local feed stores to get phone numbers of local farmers or just folks like us with small backyard flocks that live in the country. Perhaps you could find someone this way that you could get together with to catch the chicken and take it to a new home.

You could also drag out your phone book and look up farms in your area. I realize that if they're in the phone book they would be very large and not want one chicken. However, they also may have friends or family with smaller holdings that would be interested.

You could also look up vets, especially those who specialize in birds or maybe large animal vets that visit farms.

Just some ideas......

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  7. merryreader

merryreader Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh so sad. Please find it a new home, or someone who will hunt for one. I think the feed stores could help you out. Let us know what happens. Merry

8. Kitty&Eva

Kitty&Eva Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Craigslist.com would be another option. I sure hope this gets resolved and she finds a nice home. You're very kind for trying. If you were in Denver I'd be over in 5 minutes!

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Is it a hen? If it is, we'd take it if you were in central Ohio. There is a rescue organization called "Last Chance"; not sure, but I believe they are nation-wide in the US and will take anything, as far as I know. Look online.

10. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Any luck finding it a home yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by