HELP!! Found injuryed dove by chicken run!!! UPDATE

hsm5grls

Songster
12 Years
Oct 3, 2007
tucson
I went to let the chickens out into the run this morning and found a dove that the cats had gotten a hold of. It seems to only have a few bite marks in the wing and holds it out. It can fly a little and kinda flys side ways. Can I help it. It isn't bleeding that I can see but dose have some bite marks on its upper wing area.

Last edited:
I put it a brooder with some water and food it has some feathers missing and a small puncture on its upper hind end. Please I need advice

My hubby found an injured bird too...I'm not sure of the name but he calls them rain birds.... Anyways he brought it home to be to doctor it.
roll.png
I set it up in a cage with a heat lamp...rinsed the wound with some saline solution and slathered the wounds with neosporin to prevent infection and what not. Within about 3 days the bird was better and left the first chance he had. We don't really have any wildlife rehabilitator around my area so I did what I could. If you have someeone like that around you maybe they can take the bird? Or do what I did.
roll.png

Thank you I will rinse the wound. We probably have a bird rehab around but doves around here are like pigeons or sea gulls seen as more of a nuisance and most people just don't care about them.

I called the rehab place and they said I need to give it an antibiotic. What kind do I give? They were not to enthusiastic about helping it though. I am prob. fighting a looseing battle here but as long as it is alive I have to do all I can.

Thank you spotted crow I will look for the tylan. If I put the water to it it will drink but won't eat.

Don't invest too much in the bird. A couple of years ago, my wife came into the house yelling about there being a bird in the back yard. No big deal, the back yard is full of birds.

But no, this was a parakeet! So I went out there, and yes there was a parakeet sitting on the clothes line. I took a stick and poked at it, thinking if it flew away, my wife would leave me alone about it.

But no, the darn thing lit on the stick. So I had to carry it and the stick into to the house. My wife was estatic. Off she went to Pet Smart. She came back with a $40 cage, cuttle bone, gravel and enough feed to last the rest of our lives. She spent about $70 on this bird.

Next morning, the darn thing was dead!

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom