Help! found rabbit in yard. She's having babies now, what to do???

He posted a few days ago with a pic of a huge "fat" gray domestic bunny that was digging a nest with his chickens.
wink.png

Alright, then
big_smile.png
Also, make sure you get good food with the right protein, fiber, etc. Rabbits need really high fiber, like 18% or something.
Anyway, that's a lot of bunnies, hopefully they all find homes! I want to see photos, too! Bunnies are adorable
bun.gif

Quote:
6-8 weeks? You should leave the babies with mom till 6-8 weeks, never had an issue. Most rabbits hormones kick in at 4-6 months. We seperate at 8 weeks to get them away from mom and then sell them. Then by 3 months they are seperated by sex if not sold yet. I have never had one go into heat or show signs of mating at 12 weeks.

Also you should leave the kits alone just look/not touch you will be able to tell if any passed from movement. Make sure to remove any of them that pass. 9 is a big litter so don't feel like you did something wrong if you lose a couple crossing my fingers they all make!!

After the first week we touch ours to make sure everything appears normal. Just watch mom and see how she is acting, our 2 doe's know and trust us, just feel it out.

Think you missinterpreted!! - What I said was between 6-8 weeks the babies can be seperated from mom. At that stage you can get them Sexed by a good vet and then seperate males from females and in that way you avoid any more babies. I have heard of folk having pregnant doe's at 8-10 weeks depending on the breed. It is best to seperate the sexes if at all possible when they reach the age to be away from mom. I would not be touching them too much as some Rabbits do turn on the young and even pregnant doe's can injest their young if disturbed. Much like Chickens they are canabolistic.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think that must have been someone else. He has not posted any pictures of rabbits in this forum.

frow.gif

My wife posted the pics in a different thread, one in which we were trying to find out the rabbit's breed when it showed up in our yard. I'll upload pics here soon
bun.gif

Mama24, you were correct! My wife had mentioned it too, saying she looked pretty fat, and thinking she might be pregnant. We weren't even sure if it was male or female until a baby appeared lol
So, we have timothy hay and Purina rabbit chow in a dish, and a water bottle for mom. Last night she pulled fur out and made a nest/blanket for the babies, which were just on newspaper and towels, but we have a heat lamp also for warmth. Mom doesn't generally lay with them, unless they find her while crawling, is this normal?

Mr. Nappy :

Quote:
I think that must have been someone else. He has not posted any pictures of rabbits in this forum.

frow.gif

My wife posted the pics in a different thread, one in which we were trying to find out the rabbit's breed when it showed up in our yard. I'll upload pics here soon
bun.gif

Mama24, you were correct! My wife had mentioned it too, saying she looked pretty fat, and thinking she might be pregnant. We weren't even sure if it was male or female until a baby appeared lol
So, we have timothy hay and Purina rabbit chow in a dish, and a water bottle for mom. Last night she pulled fur out and made a nest/blanket for the babies, which were just on newspaper and towels, but we have a heat lamp also for warmth. Mom doesn't generally lay with them, unless they find her while crawling, is this normal?​

They need a nest box. That way the heat they produce will keep them warm with all the fur she's pulled. If they are able to crawl away/out of the nest that's when they get cold. Heat lamp is not needed. If you google rabbit nesting boxes you should get an idea of what she needs. It doesn't have to be anything special if you don't want to buy one, just a shoebox would do as long as she can fit in it. She won't lay with them, they only nurse at dusk and dawn for the most part, which is why the box is so important.

Hello!
smile.png

This is Bunny before the babies arrived,

70191_p1030854.jpg

70191_p1030849.jpg

Here are pics of Bunny and its babies
bun.gif

70191_p1030875.jpg

70191_p1030879.jpg

70191_p1030881.jpg

70191_p1030883.jpg

70191_p1030885.jpg

70191_p1030886.jpg

The back of the cage is 20 inches wide so when Bunny lays down, she's basically 20 inches long from nose to tail.
She's pretty big and she's been eating and drinking good. The babies are in good condition.

Back
Top Bottom