**Help!** Four week old chick suddenly lame

Bidoville

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 11, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
The facts:
  • Buff Orpington chick, a little smaller than the others her age, went lame this afternoon after walking normally for the last four weeks.
  • Scuttles around on her knee joints, unable to full support body weight on feet and legs.
  • Compared to other chickens, her legs are skinny and feet are small.
  • Appeared suddenly.
  • Still drinking water, able to reach food.

Help! We aren't sure if this is specific to this chick, or if our other chicks are at risk. As I said, she's smaller (and has been smaller) than the other chicks. She can move, poorly, but cannot stand. Cannot grip my finger tip. I don't believe she is in pain, but not sure what we should do.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!

Thank you for your reply! Her legs and feet are pointing the same direction, and she's definitely not pullet age yet (just barely four weeks). She's been a lethargic chick from the get go (a day or two old).

Any other thoughts? We will definitely isolate her.

Actually, she is a pullet. A pullet is a female chicken under the age of one (when they become a hen). I'm not sure what it could be. It's good that you have separated her. Make sure you change the bedding and disinfect the brooder that she came from to keep the other chicks protected. How did she do over night?

Thanks for the correction. She's still lethargic, but was able to stand on both feet. She's using her wings as balance, almost trying to touch the ground. We'll see what happens.

Any other thoughts? Should we give her any supplements?

I'm no expert, have my first chicks in the brooder myself. That being said, I've been doing a lot of reading here and keep reading of issues with chicks that have a vitamin deficiency. Seems that the deficiency manifests itself in a physical way - head rolled back, flopping, head drooping down, can't walk, etc. Here's one thread about a chick with a deficiency > https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ciency-and-the-little-guy-got-a-name-new-pics

Everyone recommends infants liquid vitamin Poly-Vi-Sol WITHOUT the iron. If you search on Poly-Vi-Sol or chick vitamin deficiency, you'll probably find more info. I sure hope it's something that can be corrected and Good Luck!

The facts:
  • Buff Orpington chick, a little smaller than the others her age, went lame this afternoon after walking normally for the last four weeks.
  • Scuttles around on her knee joints, unable to full support body weight on feet and legs.
  • Compared to other chickens, her legs are skinny and feet are small.
  • Appeared suddenly.
  • Still drinking water, able to reach food.

Help! We aren't sure if this is specific to this chick, or if our other chicks are at risk. As I said, she's smaller (and has been smaller) than the other chicks. She can move, poorly, but cannot stand. Cannot grip my finger tip. I don't believe she is in pain, but not sure what we should do.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Did you ever find out what was wrong with your baby chick? Mine is doing the exact same thing!

Back
Top Bottom