Help! Fowl pox- is there anything I can do?

We noticed this bump on our Turkey last week that is getting bigger and there are a couple smaller ones on the neck. Is this dry pox or fowl pox?

Attachments

• 867BE47A-710F-45E5-9070-469454AC66A3.jpeg
    867BE47A-710F-45E5-9070-469454AC66A3.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 26E69414-C033-4DD8-A845-02679713DDE6.jpeg
    26E69414-C033-4DD8-A845-02679713DDE6.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 1
We noticed this bump on our Turkey last week that is getting bigger and there are a couple smaller ones on the neck. Is this dry pox or fowl pox?

Fowl pox is a very real problem in the south and in tropical areas. It can be so bad that some may vaccinate against pox when chicks are 8 weeks old. It is harder on baby chicks and poults, and if the eyes are scabbed over, they may not see well enough to eat and drink. Pox lasts around a month or less, and once they have the particular strain of pox, they are immune afterward. The wet form of pox, which is less common, is more deadly. That can cause yellow lesions inside the beak and throat. Below is a picture of dry fowl pox:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/D72efe18_16662_turkeybumps_005.jpg
Is that pus in the eye? Any lesions inside the beak?
I agree, it looks like Fowl Pox. The scabs look like Dry Form, but the eye would need tending. Clean it out with saline, remove as much pus as you can and apply ointment like Terramycin.

1632276607063.jpeg

I agree, it looks like Fowl Pox. The scabs look like Dry Form, but the eye would need tending. Clean it out with saline, remove as much pus as you can and apply ointment like Terramycin.

View attachment 2841919
Oh! I did not see that! Thank you for paying attention @Wyorp Rock ❤️

View attachment 2841919
Hubby said not pus

View attachment 2841919
Hubby said it’s not pus but the eye is watering some. And the end of the growth looks like a feather stuck to it

A scab on one of my turkeys has started to get smalller and fall off. Will all the scabs fall off or will there be a scar there forever?

I got two turkeys, like two weeks after I got them one got fowl pox. I didn't think that's what it was until the other turkey had it too, while meanwhile turkey #1's pox spot kept getting bigger. Not that it's that big, but it looks creepy. My mom did a lot of searching stuff online, and she said they got it from mosquito bites. I examined all the chicks (chicken chicks) they had been with, and 5 had it. 2 chicks that were with them from day one didn't have signs, some they had been with for a while did, and some they had been with for a only short amount of time also did. Today I found a lot if my chicks that are a couple months old (they are kept in a pen 100 feet away from the turkeys I had found it on) also have it. So far none of my older birds have signs, but this is the first year I have ever had fowl pox on my chickens. My mom told me it was the dry kind, and that it wasn't fatal.(it looks likes big scabby worts) We have been putting colloidal silver on the scab things, but I don't know if it is helping.

So I wanted to know, will it run it course and be gone, or can it really kill them? And is there any thing I should be doing to it? I'm a little worried about it. Thanks so much, anybody that helps me.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
Fowl pox is rarely fatal, its not contagious as far as i know. I hope the very best for your birds! Keep us updated.

A scab on one of my turkeys has started to get smalller and fall off. Will all the scabs fall off or will there be a scar there forever?
Fowl pox is rarely fatal, its not contagious as far as i know. I hope the very best for your birds! Keep us updated.
Do you know the answer to my last question though?

Back
Top Bottom