Help! Fowl pox- is there anything I can do?

Fluffy Lambs

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
May 10, 2021
The Hot State
I got two turkeys, like two weeks after I got them one got fowl pox. I didn't think that's what it was until the other turkey had it too, while meanwhile turkey #1's pox spot kept getting bigger. Not that it's that big, but it looks creepy. My mom did a lot of searching stuff online, and she said they got it from mosquito bites. I examined all the chicks (chicken chicks) they had been with, and 5 had it. 2 chicks that were with them from day one didn't have signs, some they had been with for a while did, and some they had been with for a only short amount of time also did. Today I found a lot if my chicks that are a couple months old (they are kept in a pen 100 feet away from the turkeys I had found it on) also have it. So far none of my older birds have signs, but this is the first year I have ever had fowl pox on my chickens. My mom told me it was the dry kind, and that it wasn't fatal.(it looks likes big scabby worts) We have been putting colloidal silver on the scab things, but I don't know if it is helping.

So I wanted to know, will it run it course and be gone, or can it really kill them? And is there any thing I should be doing to it? I'm a little worried about it. Thanks so much, anybody that helps me.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock

We noticed this bump on our Turkey last week that is getting bigger and there are a couple smaller ones on the neck. Is this dry pox or fowl pox?

Fowl pox is a very real problem in the south and in tropical areas. It can be so bad that some may vaccinate against pox when chicks are 8 weeks old. It is harder on baby chicks and poults, and if the eyes are scabbed over, they may not see well enough to eat and drink. Pox lasts around a month or less, and once they have the particular strain of pox, they are immune afterward. The wet form of pox, which is less common, is more deadly. That can cause yellow lesions inside the beak and throat. Below is a picture of dry fowl pox:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/D72efe18_16662_turkeybumps_005.jpg
Is that pus in the eye? Any lesions inside the beak?
I agree, it looks like Fowl Pox. The scabs look like Dry Form, but the eye would need tending. Clean it out with saline, remove as much pus as you can and apply ointment like Terramycin.

1632276607063.jpeg

Can you post some photos?

Fowl Pox is a virus mainly spread by mosquitoes. Dry Form of Fowl Pox will usually resolve on it's own over the course of several weeks.
Take care when applying anything to the scabs since disturbing them can cause it to spread. Iodine is commonly used to help dry scabs up. Not sure how well Colloidal Silver will work.

See that they are eating/drinking well. Keep water stations cleaned and sanitized. Info about that is in this helpful article.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

Fowl pox is a very real problem in the south and in tropical areas. It can be so bad that some may vaccinate against pox when chicks are 8 weeks old. It is harder on baby chicks and poults, and if the eyes are scabbed over, they may not see well enough to eat and drink. Pox lasts around a month or less, and once they have the particular strain of pox, they are immune afterward. The wet form of pox, which is less common, is more deadly. That can cause yellow lesions inside the beak and throat. Below is a picture of dry fowl pox:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/27/D72efe18_16662_turkeybumps_005.jpg

We noticed this bump on our Turkey last week that is getting bigger and there are a couple smaller ones on the neck. Is this dry pox or fowl pox?

Attachments

• 867BE47A-710F-45E5-9070-469454AC66A3.jpeg
    867BE47A-710F-45E5-9070-469454AC66A3.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 26E69414-C033-4DD8-A845-02679713DDE6.jpeg
    26E69414-C033-4DD8-A845-02679713DDE6.jpeg
    563 KB · Views: 1

Fowl Pox is a virus mainly spread by mosquitoes. Dry Form of Fowl Pox will usually resolve on it's own over the course of several weeks.
Take care when applying anything to the scabs since disturbing them can cause it to spread. Iodine is commonly used to help dry scabs up. Not sure how well Colloidal Silver will work.

See that they are eating/drinking well. Keep water stations cleaned and sanitized. Info about that is in this helpful article.
Thank you so much! I was so worried I was killing them by not doing anything. We were just using colloidal silver because that's her go-to for anything viral, but honestly I don't think it's helping.

And yes I will post pictures later. I have been taking one every day so when it's gone I can document it, but they are all on my computer.

Back
Top Bottom