Help! Fox...staring at my chickens !! Hot wire, hardware cloth apron or ?

Will try to convince my husband to install hotwire first. He is afraid of shocking human.

Is a welded wire fence like this ok?

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/red-brand-welded-wire-72-in-x-100-ft?cm_vc=-10005

and an apron with hardware cloth mesh? is 18" inch above ground, 18" on the ground enough?
It can feel like a zap, but it's not unbearable. Just undesirable.
If you are going install hardware cloth, go with 1/2" or less you will make it a more secure run.

If you are replacing the chicken wire, you will want to opt for something smaller than the 2"x4" welded wire or you will be fighting off wild birds. Ask me how I know. Plus, anything can grab a chicken or duck through that size of gaps without added protection like a hot wire.
I have the 2"x4" because the guys installing told my husband if a predator is going to get in, they will get in no matter what. I remind him every day when I go out there and have to deal with wild bird crap.
I have an electric hot wire around the bottom at 3" and 6". I recommend 3" up due to snow. I sweep it off, but keeping up with snow on the bottom wire can be an issue. I do have an issue with a fox, but it has never gotten into the run. No digging and no jumping. The hotwire keeps it away. Plus, the run is like 8 foot tall and covered. I don't have any other predators that come into my yard, but I am surrounded by them as we live in the country. I also have an apron dug around the outer edge of the run.

Thanks for all for the help. Some more questions:

1. Is poly tape ok to use as electric fence for ground predators? It seems easier to install.

2. what gauge hardware cloth should we get? Looking into 1/2", either 14 gauge or 19 gauge for the apron. Which one?

Many thanks - we are totally ignorant in building/constructions!

Thanks for all for the help. Some more questions:

1. Is poly tape ok to use as electric fence for ground predators? It seems easier to install.

2. what gauge hardware cloth should we get? Looking into 1/2", either 14 gauge or 19 gauge for the apron. Which one?

Many thanks - we are totally ignorant in building/constructions!
I think with gauge, the lower is stronger. But, don't quote me, its just what I'm remembering when I researched it. Eventually it all deteriorates due to being in or touching the ground, so I would go with the better quality.

And, I just use wire for my hot wire. It's easy enough to install with some extenders to keep it away from the hardware cloth. There are lots of threads regarding installing hot wires. I am not an expert, but I know you need to ground it. We use a battery to keep the energizer charged. The battery and energizer are in a shed close to my run. I tried the solar charger and in the winter, it didn't hold a good charge which worried me.

Yup that’s the kind of thing.
I am sorry I don’t know the difference between the ones you are looking at.
I went with this one (and I know some other BYC have the same).
https://kencove.com/fence/Electric+Netting+10/40/3½_detail_NSPCG.php
Premier 1 Supply also has them but a bit pricier. I find both companies knowledgeable and responsive and willing to answer dumb questions over the phone.
Remember you will need a fence energizer. I got a solar one. I was a bit intimidated by it because it seemed very complicated - but actually it was very easy to set up. I hot wired my actual coop with regular wire before expanding to the run.
I got my energizer from Premier One. I don’t remember the model but could probably dig it out (or just look at it in the morning).
I went with a 40” high fence. A fox can clean jump 3’ and climb much higher. So theoretically a fox could get over this without being zapped if they jumped and then climed and weren’t touching the ground when they were climbing.
In practice I have seen foxes ‘investigate’ first and they get their noses zapped and stay away. In fact I think they can tell it is on (it does make a sound) and don’t come near.

Yup that’s the kind of thing.
I am sorry I don’t know the difference between the ones you are looking at.
I went with this one (and I know some other BYC have the same).
https://kencove.com/fence/Electric+Netting+10/40/3½_detail_NSPCG.php
Premier 1 Supply also has them but a bit pricier. I find both companies knowledgeable and responsive and willing to answer dumb questions over the phone.
Remember you will need a fence energizer. I got a solar one. I was a bit intimidated by it because it seemed very complicated - but actually it was very easy to set up. I hot wired my actual coop with regular wire before expanding to the run.
I got my energizer from Premier One. I don’t remember the model but could probably dig it out (or just look at it in the morning).
I went with a 40” high fence. A fox can clean jump 3’ and climb much higher. So theoretically a fox could get over this without being zapped if they jumped and then climed and weren’t touching the ground when they were climbing.
In practice I have seen foxes ‘investigate’ first and they get their noses zapped and stay away. In fact I think they can tell it is on (it does make a sound) and don’t come near.
Oh I should clarify, this is all for a run during the day. Mine get locked in to the predator proof Chicken Palace which has a smaller run every night.
The fence is to allow them to sort of free range in a bigger area of the yard during the day and mostly when we are around and about.

Back
Top Bottom