Help from the crows

Is it true that crows (or was it ravens) will combat hawks in an area? :hmm

Is this an exception that's rare or quite common also?
It's pretty common. I've see other birds chase off hawks too.
Have seen crows chasing wild turkeys.
All birds chase off other birds at some point, they are all pretty territorial.

@nao57
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1587470860447.png

I love crows. We have crows and I have seen them chase a hawk many times. They also make a ruckus when they see one stalking our birds, so that helps a lot. I think they have a nest near by but they are not always here. Sometimes they are "out" when the Guineas are free ranging, so can't reply on them 100%.

Crows are amazing. They can do better than we can: they can recognize and distinguish people by our faces! Can you tell one crow from another?

Our crows are shy and leery of me. Probably fine that way. They have never hurt our birds but I have seen them take a Guinea egg and fly off with it in their beak when they found one in our compost pile in the old bedding. Have seen parents with 6 or 7 young "shop" in our compost pile. =]

There's a ton of crows here and few hawks but not sure if that's coincidence. They come by here to hang out in the compost, but now that they figured out there's food in the yard they've also tried to eat the chicken feed when I put a bowl out for the chickens while they free range :rolleyes:
I wouldn't feed them on purpose but they're nice to have around

Why not feed them? Do you mean because of the cost of food, or do they become too demanding or something?
Sorry I was unclear - I just meant personally in my situation I wouldn't - if I had a hawk problem I might, since the crows definitely seem to help.
Mostly because of the cost of food - and in a way I already do feed them from the compost pile, so there's plenty around already. They do become more brazen, but I don't mind that so much, since they don't go inside the coop or pen. Plus I'd rather have a brazen crow than a hawk, so do what you need to to keep the hawks away. For me, leaving food scraps out in the compost has worked (unintentionally)

Back
Top Bottom