Help....frozen eggs!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rmaasjo, Jan 19, 2016.

1. rmaasjo

rmaasjo New Egg

Jan 9, 2016
    northern Minnesota
    any ideas out there to get eggs from the nest to the house without freezing and cracking in -20 and below degree weather. The minute I take them out of the nest they start to freeze and crack.

2. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    For starters I'd GTH out of Minnesota. It's a god awful cold place. Where are you, Bemidji or something?
    Geez, how far do you have to walk the eggs?
    Maybe get one of those little burlap reusable grocery bags and put it under your coat.

2 people like this.
  3. rmaasjo

rmaasjo New Egg

Jan 9, 2016
    northern Minnesota
    I'm about 40 miles west of Bemidji, in a little town called Bagley. I only have a short distance to the house but the air temp was so cold the eggs would crack the minute I took them off the nest.. Jan. & Feb. are usually our coldest months. If we can make it thru them we are doing good. My chickens are pretty hardy and are staying healthy. They get extra treats during the coldest times... and lots of hay in the nesting boxes.

4. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I've been there in the middle of winter.
    No one should live like that. Not even a chicken.

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Living in Florida, I'm not going to be able to answer your question based on my poultry experiences but maybe someone from your state might have an answer for you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

(Sorry I know you're having a problem but I had to stop laughing at @BBQJOE 's response before I could reply to your question [​IMG])

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Could you get those things that you put in the microwave to heat up? Then have it in your pocket or insulated grocery tote when you go to collect the eggs

8. BBQJOE

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    If it were me, I'd sell my half track, my snowmobiles, snowshoes, cross county skis, tire chains, parkas and sorrels, and just get out of there![​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Me too! That's just too cold! I live in Washington state, and I promise to never, ever, complain about the rain again.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. NickyKnack

NickyKnack Love is Silkie soft!

Hello!
    [​IMG]
    Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. I look forward to seeing you around BYC.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by