Help....frozen eggs!

rmaasjo

Hatching
Jan 9, 2016
northern Minnesota
any ideas out there to get eggs from the nest to the house without freezing and cracking in -20 and below degree weather. The minute I take them out of the nest they start to freeze and crack.

any ideas out there to get eggs from the nest to the house without freezing and cracking in -20 and below degree weather. The minute I take them out of the nest they start to freeze and crack.
For starters I'd GTH out of Minnesota. It's a god awful cold place. Where are you, Bemidji or something?
Geez, how far do you have to walk the eggs?
Maybe get one of those little burlap reusable grocery bags and put it under your coat.

I'm about 40 miles west of Bemidji, in a little town called Bagley. I only have a short distance to the house but the air temp was so cold the eggs would crack the minute I took them off the nest.. Jan. & Feb. are usually our coldest months. If we can make it thru them we are doing good. My chickens are pretty hardy and are staying healthy. They get extra treats during the coldest times... and lots of hay in the nesting boxes.

I'm about 40 miles west of Bemidji, in a little town called Bagley. I only have a short distance to the house but the air temp was so cold the eggs would crack the minute I took them off the nest.. Jan. & Feb. are usually our coldest months. If we can make it thru them we are doing good. My chickens are pretty hardy and are staying healthy. They get extra treats during the coldest times... and lots of hay in the nesting boxes.
I've been there in the middle of winter.
No one should live like that. Not even a chicken.

welcome-byc.gif

Living in Florida, I'm not going to be able to answer your question based on my poultry experiences but maybe someone from your state might have an answer for you:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

(Sorry I know you're having a problem but I had to stop laughing at @BBQJOE 's response before I could reply to your question
gig.gif
)

Could you get those things that you put in the microwave to heat up? Then have it in your pocket or insulated grocery tote when you go to collect the eggs

Me too! That's just too cold! I live in Washington state, and I promise to never, ever, complain about the rain again.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom