Help! Goose in trouble!

ziggie

Hatching
May 9, 2015
I live on a farm with a small lake and rtf in the middle. I came home yesterday to see a single goose on the raft. It is moving and raising it's head, but not much, so I think it's in trouble. It won't have had food or water in at least 24 hours or more. I'm going to take the row boat out to see if I can help it. Can anyone suggest what to try to feed it?

I don't know what that is. I'm completely inexperienced with fowl, but I can't just stand by and watch it die, so feel I need to try to do something. I have some organic bean bread, could I try that?

Bread is bad for all fowl really. But adult geese love grass from what I understand. And it's a very large part of thier diet. Do you have any neighbors or friends who keep poultry who may be willing to help?

Thanks. No one I know keeps fowl and anyone around here that I would ask would offer to come over with a gun. So maybe I can bring it some grass and a bowl of water and see if it can buil up its strength enough to fly away. Thanks for commenting.

If you can catch it maybe see if anybody on craigslist may be willing to take it. And care for the poor soul

I live on a farm with a small lake and rtf in the middle. I came home yesterday to see a single goose on the raft. It is moving and raising it's head, but not much, so I think it's in trouble. It won't have had food or water in at least 24 hours or more. I'm going to take the row boat out to see if I can help it. Can anyone suggest what to try to feed it?
What kind of raft are you talking about? greens of any kind like romaine lettuce would work is this a Canada goose your referring to? if you feel it's in danger see if you can find someone that rehabs water fowl they may come and help

Where are you located? Does it appear to be a wild goose? If it is a wild Canadian goose you should call your local wildlife authority as they are protected and the wildlife authority should be able to assist. In the meantime, do you have any lettuce or any kind of melon in the house? If you do you could take that and some clean water out to the raft, put it within reach and see if the goose will eat it. Some grass clippings might also work but geese are pretty picky about their choices of grass so don't be surprised if the goose just ignores it. Does it appear that the goose is injured, has been shot or in some way wounded? You may need another person to get the goose if it is injured and wild as it will probably try to get away and may further injure itself. Good luck and bless you for wanting to do something to assist this bird. Let us know how things work out.

Goose update: she was not in trouble, she was on her nest. Six more wild Canada geese that will imprint and call our pond home. ;-(

Back
Top Bottom