HELP! Goslings attacking Ducklings

JoserMum

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2021
I’ll just start by saying I am at a loss. I’ve done my research but cannot figure out what’s causing the behavior in my flock.
I have 8 ducks and 6 geese, they are all a month old. Since arriving from the hatchery they have never been separated, and actually seem upset if they are separated. To my mind they are a happy flock.
They’re still in the brooder, and as it’s in the 90s here, we’ve started transitioning them outside during the days and we bring them in at night still. They have a large, grassy, fenced area and a pool. Their permanent coop is being built this weekend, and I thought we were ahead of the game.

This week I have noticed something disturbing. When I checked on them in the morning, all of my ducks had been pecked to the point of bleeding. And I noticed feathers and blood on one of the geese‘s bills. I panicked and immediately took all of the geese out to the yard and monitored the ducks. They stayed in the brooder that day and the next day as well. We also separated the geese at night, hoping it was just a matter of boredom and close quarters.

Today they all joined each other again in the yard and they seemed happy to see each other. Then when I went to check on them all my ducks are bleeding again. WHAT IS HAPPENING? My intention was for the geese to protect the ducks and now they‘ve become the issue.

If anyone has any idea, please help!

What breeds do you have? Are they sexed birds? Is it just one of the geese that seems to be doing this, as far as you can tell? Do you have photos of the damage to your ducks?

Last edited:
What breeds do you have? Are they seed birds? Is it just one of the geese that seems to be doing this, as far as you can tell? Do you have photos of the damage to your ducks?
I have Pekins and Toulouse. The Pekins are all female, the Toulouse were straight run, and if size is an indication I have mostly ganders. I believe it is just one goose but they all seem to get involved a bit. I’m not sure what you mean by seed bird?

I had a few pictures of the damage but they were all blurry 🤦🏻‍♀️

It seems to be around and behind their wings. They aren’t fully feathered yet, and they just look so ragged, poor girls.

I have Pekins and Toulouse. The Pekins are all female, the Toulouse were straight run, and if size is an indication I have mostly ganders. I believe it is just one goose but they all seem to get involved a bit. I’m not sure what you mean by seed bird?

I had a few pictures of the damage but they were all blurry 🤦🏻‍♀️

It seems to be around and behind their wings. They aren’t fully feathered yet, and they just look so ragged, poor girls.
Sorry. Typo. Meant sexed birds.

Bummer. Well, I'd definitely keep them separated for now. Or at least remove the offending goose, and maybe a friend for it.

What are you feeding these guys?

I have had geese, standard ducks, and call ducks all in together with no issues, but others have had major issues with the geese tearing up their ducks. It really depends on breeds, your setup, and the birds themselves. Do you have a pic of their brooder?

Sorry. Typo. Meant sexed birds.

Bummer. Well, I'd definitely keep them separated for now. Or at least remove the offending goose, and maybe a friend for it.

What are you feeding these guys?

I have had geese, standard ducks, and call ducks all in together with no issues, but others have had major issues with the geese tearing up their ducks. It really depends on breeds, your setup, and the birds themselves. Do you have a pic of their brooder?
Yeah I’m thinking separation is our best option. I’m bummed because I had this idea they would be happy together. They get regular duckling/gosling feed and I’ve started cutting it with oats. I also give them greens as a treat. They graze from about 11 am to almost 9 pm right now. I’ll attach a brooder pic. I’m aware it’s gotten too small, hence moving them outside for most of the day. I’m hoping once they’re permanently outside they’ll at least be able to tolerate each other. I worry because they were meant to share a coop at night, now I have a bit of anxiety.

Attachments

• 8C407C40-718D-4B9B-8E02-688BE5ABFD87.jpeg
    8C407C40-718D-4B9B-8E02-688BE5ABFD87.jpeg
    479.5 KB · Views: 16
Yeah I’m thinking separation is our best option. I’m bummed because I had this idea they would be happy together. They get regular duckling/gosling feed and I’ve started cutting it with oats. I also give them greens as a treat. They graze from about 11 am to almost 9 pm right now. I’ll attach a brooder pic. I’m aware it’s gotten too small, hence moving them outside for most of the day. I’m hoping once they’re permanently outside they’ll at least be able to tolerate each other. I worry because they were meant to share a coop at night, now I have a bit of anxiety.
Don't give up yet! They might be OK together once they are in their final setup. Waterfowl grow so insanely fast. It's hard to understand until you live it, lol.

I'd honestly start by removing the trouble maker, and going from there.

I’m having a similar issue with my gosling picking on my chicks feathers. It’s not really mean to the other gosling but it is to the chicks. The other gosling is nice, I even put it with my bantam chicks for a bit earlier while I was cleaning the brooders and they were fine.

Do you have pictures of the ducklings?

Here’s my injured chicks. I found 2 pecked ones the day before yesterday and 2 more today, but only have pictures of these 2. I separated the gosling and I’m gonna try to reintroduce it in a few days to see if it helps at all.

Attachments

• DB383205-DBC8-43FD-9416-FC28D5B376D5.jpeg
    DB383205-DBC8-43FD-9416-FC28D5B376D5.jpeg
    358.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 7150D8F2-1D00-40CC-8D71-CCF38AABC7EF.jpeg
    7150D8F2-1D00-40CC-8D71-CCF38AABC7EF.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 0278F3FC-3CE9-4AA4-A0C2-5EC779572DAB.jpeg
    0278F3FC-3CE9-4AA4-A0C2-5EC779572DAB.jpeg
    312.5 KB · Views: 11
Don't give up yet! They might be OK together once they are in their final setup. Waterfowl grow so insanely fast. It's hard to understand until you live it, lol.

I'd honestly start by removing the trouble maker, and going from there.
That’s a good idea. I will do that first. I love the geese so much…I’m hoping they’re not all bullies.

I’m having a similar issue with my gosling picking on my chicks feathers. It’s not really mean to the other gosling but it is to the chicks. The other gosling is nice, I even put it with my bantam chicks for a bit earlier while I was cleaning the brooders and they were fine.

Do you have pictures of the ducklings?

Here’s my injured chicks. I found 2 pecked ones the day before yesterday and 2 more today, but only have pictures of these 2. I separated the gosling and I’m gonna try to reintroduce it in a few days to see if it helps at all.
88DFC37A-1749-4A38-B7D9-FBD1AF5A73BD.jpeg
My ragged girls, this is just a partial picture, and not even as bad as today 😫 they are all picked on their sides, and enough that there was blood. As soon as I removed my geese, the blood stopped and they look fine.

That’s a good idea. I will do that first. I love the geese so much…I’m hoping they’re not all bullies.
I loved mine too. I had American buff geese, and they were the sweetest birds. Little call ducklings actually picked on them! Lol.
Hopefully once you get them settled in their new space, they will mellow. I do hope you don't have a bunch of boys, though. That will go poorly when they mature as they will likely try to breed your Pekin hens. Just a heads up there!

Back
Top Bottom