HELP! Goslings attacking Ducklings

I loved mine too. I had American buff geese, and they were the sweetest birds. Little call ducklings actually picked on them! Lol.
Hopefully once you get them settled in their new space, they will mellow. I do hope you don't have a bunch of boys, though. That will go poorly when they mature as they will likely try to breed your Pekin hens. Just a heads up there!
That’s my other worry….my husband and I are actually thinking of observing the geese a bit and choosing the kindest ones to keep. A gander and a goose or two so we don’t have as much aggression.

Give them more space and very likely the problem will go away. They are overcrowded and bored, and there is not enough space for the ducklings to get away.

Give them more space and very likely the problem will go away. They are overcrowded and bored, and there is not enough space for the ducklings to get away.
It sounds like the last instance was outdoors in their yard setup, not in the brooder.

@JoserMum, do you have a pic of your outdoor setup?

That’s my other worry….my husband and I are actually thinking of observing the geese a bit and choosing the kindest ones to keep. A gander and a goose or two so we don’t have as much aggression.
I think that sounds like a good idea. 6 geese is a lot. I will say my gander was just about the sweetest guy (he still is, I just don't have him anymore). He just loved babies, and would adopt and tend to pretty much any baby duck or gosling. He adopted 3 goslings last year, and did a great job raising them.
20200510_122826.jpg

It sounds like the last instance was outdoors in their yard setup, not in the brooder.

@JoserMum, do you have a pic of your outdoor setup?
Once aberrant behavior is started it generally continues. Very common for adult geese, especially singletons, to adopt ducklings or goslings. It's a very different behavior than that expressed by immature birds.

Once aberrant behavior is started it generally continues. Very common for adult geese, especially singletons, to adopt ducklings or goslings. It's a very different behavior than that expressed by immature birds.
Percy wasn't a single, lol. He has a girlfriend. Her eggs weren't fertile, and she really wasn't interested in the babies that weren't hers, but he did a good job with them.

I understand that the behavior is different, just pointing out that each bird is different, and that gender isn't always the issue when it comes to aggressive behavior.

Also, 6 geese to 8 ducks might not be the best ratio, especially if space is an issue. That's why I'd like to see a pic of the outdoor pen they're in.

Back
Top Bottom