HELP!!! GQF SPORTSMAN PROBLEMS!!!

Glad to hear it. Mine flashes just before the light comes on for a while and the goes dark when it shuts off. I hope mine is working well. I just finished my hatcher today using the same components as teh GQF without the turner, I noticed my new element gets hotter than the one in the old one. I think I am going to change it out when this hatch comes off. They are not costly and I have been having some very minimal issues wiht holding tem.

Thanks for the follow up. I was impressed with the helpfulness of RB.

Take care

Its my understanding from reading the instruction manual that in the 15** series incubators the wafer t-stat is there as an alternate in the event the electronic unit fails. Unlike the 12** 'bators which have the two wafers wired in series, the 15** has an either/or setup. If the pilot light isn't coming on you can go in and unplug the electronic t-stat and plug in the wafer set up. Here's a link to the 15** instructions that illustrates what I'm saying on the second page.
https://www.gqfmfg.com/pdf/Cabinet Model Instructions.pdf
hth, db

Ok... here is a new question.

I've plugged in the old GQF 1202, which was the original sportsman back in the day. Its got the self filling tray with the 5 gallon bucket on top. I cannot get the humidity up over 40%. And I've got a large sponge set in the water sticking up to act as a wick pad.

How do you guys get the humidity higher than 40% in yours?

Since neither thermostat will make it heat up I would guess that the ni-chrome heater coil has been accidently broken or disconnected in moving the unit. GQF has a complete wiring diagram on their website on the Sportsman. With a simple test light this should be easy to run down.

Last edited:
Yes Greathorse agreed on the help with ya R-B, very helpful. Hope mine works as well. I just loaded it with 300 quail eggs! 17 days and counting...

db i pulled the the old wafer and replaced with new ele. ther. from R-B keeps temp right on at least for the initial test run.

Poulets Im trying the same thing with the sponge I think thats my problem! Ive ordered the real pads from R-B i'll see if that makes a difference. My thinking is that there is not enough air flowing through the sponge. Also it could be the wetbulb factor??

Well I have a digital hydrometer with a probe in there. I have the probe set in the second tray. I'm thinking about putting a 9x13 pan at the very bottom with water in it and see if that changes things.

The yellow indicator light comes on when the heat is on. This light is usually steady on when the incubator is cold and heating up but will begin to blink as it reaches and maintains the set point temperature.

that comes right out of the manual.

My bater was a gift, old but with no manual, wafer went bad updated with new elec. ther. But no worries have manual now thanks to R-B. Life is very good.
cool.png

Chris,
Low humidity, check the door gasket. Close it on a dollar bill all around and check for gaps, or try a lit candle on the outside and check for drafts. Its probably in need of replacement. Lowes or Home Depot should probably have a suitable foam weatherstrip that will work.
db

Quote:
I did add some new weather stripping around the door today! TALK ABOUT MADE A DIFFERENCE! I'm holding at 50% humidity!!!

I didn't think it was making that much of a difference but after taking the old stuff off and installing the new one, it made every difference in the world...

I love $2.97 fixes!

Back
Top Bottom