Help - hard time breething

LuLuBelle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Richmond, VA
Good Morning,

I was wondering if someone could help me out. One of my babies is having a hard time breathing. Its eating and drinking, but keeps opening it's mouth to breathe, like we do sometimes when our nose is stuffy.

Is there something I can do? They are warm enough in the coop and they are still inside... Not trying out for help like they sometimes do when they are hurtiing... I have heard it cry when I take one of the birds away or if i leave the room it will cry a little bit, but not like a cry all the time for help... just a little bit of talking...

Does not seem to be sufferering other then breathing through beak.

Any thoughts? I would say the bird is only about 3 weeks old

i would defiantly separate from other chicks .......i know it will cry from being lonely.......mabe get some vitamins......just use as a precaution so if it is something that will spread it wont spread to the others

I'd love to hear more responses about this - I have a 4-year-old barred rock who just started doing the same open-mouth breathing. She's also sneezing a bit and sounding wheezy. I've added vitamins/electrolytes to the water and will probably add antibiotics and/or apple cider vinegar and garlic.

Any other ideas? It's possible one of our other 5 girls is exhibiting symptoms as well. Should we separate them? It's pretty warm out so I'm thinking no need to bring them in the house.

Amanda

Most respiratory illnesses are HIGHLY contagious! Separate immediately and work on decontamination asap!

Apple cider vinegar in the water, but do NOT medicate until you know what illness they have. Many are viral and cannot be treated...so treating them would only enhance your chickens immunity to antibiotics.

Do respiratory lookup of your main symptom on the upper right hand of the screen and you will find a plethora of information.

I hope your babies are ok!

Back
Top Bottom