help hatching chinese goslings

brittanyd

Songster
6 Years
Feb 20, 2013
albany ga
okay so I'm in desperate need of some advice I bought 4 Chinese geese eggs online I was very disappointed when I received my eggs they all had detached air cells I decided to try and hatch them anyway after letting them sit for 36 hours to see if the air cells would stabilize I candled and noticed they had no improvement so I decided to put them in the incubator and see what happens well to my surprise 4 days passed I candled and with luck they had all started to vein but the air cells where very badly deformed they were very large and the more time passed the more they got deformed I set the eggs on April 29th It is now may 25th one has already internally pipped and is screeching I don't know how long it's been since it broke the membrane I got nervous and decided to make a small hole just so it could breath in case it's been longer than 24 hours the membrane around the gosling is very small so I don't know if it will have enough room to hatch all eggs have movement in them so after all this info my question is how long should I let it sit in the egg before I should start to worry and possibly assist these eggs are very precious to me and I will be very sad if they don't hatch because I didn't do all I could to help it

Hi Brittanyd,

If you go to the stickys for the geese thread there is a thread on waterfowl incubation which is very well done. If you scroll down to the section on hatching the author goes into detail on how, and how to know when, to help. You don't want to assist a hatch until you know that the blood vessels in the shell membrane have closed off, and you also want to be sure that the yolk has been absorbed. Reading through the sticky should be helpful to you. Good luck with your hatch. : )

Hi Brittanyd,

If you go to the stickys for the geese thread there is a thread on waterfowl incubation which is very well done.  If you scroll down to the section on hatching the author goes into detail on how, and how to know when, to help.  You don't want to assist a hatch until you know that the blood vessels in the shell membrane have closed off, and you also want to be sure that the yolk has been absorbed.  Reading through the sticky should be helpful to you.  Good luck with your hatch.  : )
Thank you for the info I found a thread a guy named pete made and it has helped tremendously I haven't assisted yet since they all seem to be fine except for making the tiny hole in the first egg to pip I candled and listened to the other three eggs and they have pipped too so I'll leave them for another 24 hours and see what happens thanks again on replying to my post

Last edited:
Hello I've been so busy 3 hatched one died before external pip here are some pictures of the beautiful babies
wee.gif

'

Last edited:
Now I'm not sure on the breed I reread the description for the eggs on eBay and it says she has multiple African and brown Chinese but only 1 white Chinese so I ruled out white Chinese not sure if they are pure African pure brown Chinese or a mix between the 2 hmmmm
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom