Help - have run out of chick crumble - now what?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chookychook, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Chookychook

Chookychook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi everyone,

We have 4 X five week old Autrolorp chicks and will have to wait 12 hours before we can get more chick crumble (last of crumble spilt and unrecoverable) - is there an alternative?

We have 2 year old Isa Browns that are on a mixture of pellets and an oganic grain mix, can we pulverise their food or can the chicks wait twelve hours overnight?

Thanks in advance,

Chookychook

2. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I would pulverize the food you have and the chicks should be fine. I have had day old chicks eat their mom's scratch grains and what bits of cracked corn that are small enough for them, and they were fine. I also free range my chickens and have had baby chicks only a few days old, out scratching for whatever they can find, bugs, seeds, you name it! Those free range chicks usually grow faster than any of my chicks on store bought feed!

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Hard boiled eggs mashed up [​IMG] If I run out its what I use [​IMG]

4. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    old timers feed oat meal. corn bread will work.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    all great suggestions... and then keep an inventory and plan ahead [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Others have given good suggestions. For an emergency, straight cornmeal will work but I would not make a steady diet of it for them. With most of these, I'd make sure they have grit. If you don't have it but you can find sand, that will work well. If you have a gravel road or driveway, you can probably get sand and fine rocks there, but don't use that if your road has been salted for ice or snow. Too much salt is not good for chicks or chickens.

Good luck!!

7. Chookychook

Chookychook Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thank you everyone for your help - we whizzed up some of the older girls pellets and grains and they were very happy - off to the feed store to get crumble now - my babies thank you [​IMG]

8. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    The last babys I had I was feeding them scratch grains. They were doing fine till they found a hole in the fence and the cats got them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by