*HELP!* Have to go with unmedicated at 4 weeks old!

Okay thanks Coyote and BFF.
Coyote I asked the co-op manager about getting in the flock raiser, since they are a Purina dealer. He said he'd try if I gave him enough warning that I'd be needing some. I have a feeling I would run into the same problem I ran into with him before when I tried to order the Purina Sunfresh chick starter. I'd remind him that I'd be needing some bags and he'd still forget to order it.
he.gif
I didn't like switching feed back and forth, so I settled for the local brand, knowing at least that they'd keep in stock.

Quote:
They are carrying it at Tractor supply now if you have one of those near by

Nope, closest TSC is in Oklahoma but thanks. The feed I think I've settled on is 17% chick grower. Just hoping that I don't have any issues this round with cocci
fl.gif

I bought my chicks at 3 days old and never had them on medicated chick starter. They are doing fabulously and free range every day. Where abouts in SW Arkansas do you live, I am originally from El Dorado...and you are right, the heat and humidity are fearsome, only to be beat by south Louisiana!
lol.png

Gritsar, if you want an option that will help in a similar way to the medicated starter (interrupts the life/reproduction cycle of the organism, not all strains, but some) then there's an old farmer trick:

Just add 3/4c. powdered milk per 1# of feed. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but it keeps them from decimating the lining of the guts if you get coccidiosis or want to keep it at bay.

Quote:
Gritsar, you've probably read my thoughts on medicated feed, but if you ARE going to use it, please keep in mind that it does not assist your chickens in developing resistance to cocci unless they are being exposed to the organisms (soil, older chickens' poop) while feeding on the medicated feed. Feeding medicated feed to chickens without exposure to the soil is an exercise in futility.

Non-medicated or medicated, they can still get cocci. There is a myth that overcrowding and filthy conditions cause cocci--absolutely not true. Yes, they may make it worse, but they do not cause it. It's in the soil. And moist climates make things worse.

Feeding medicated feed to chickens without exposure to the soil is an exercise in futility.

That is why brooder-raised babies can get cocci when they are suddenly dumped on soil at four to six weeks old. Broody-raised chicks rarely, if ever, get cocci. They are on soil earlier, mine usually in the first few days of life, plus they pick at mama's poop and she is already immune, so it's like being inoculated.​

Quote:
Gritsar, you've probably read my thoughts on medicated feed, but if you ARE going to use it, please keep in mind that it does not assist your chickens in developing resistance to cocci unless they are being exposed to the organisms (soil, older chickens' poop) while feeding on the medicated feed. Feeding medicated feed to chickens without exposure to the soil is an exercise in futility.

Yes PP, I was/am aware of that. That's why I've been making the effort to encourage all the chicks to get outside each day, even if some of the meaties act like I'm killing them by making them be chickens.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom