HELP! Hawk attack, bad injuries.

Do you have suggestions on how to get it in her? She will not let me put the syringe in her mouth. She is being stubborn
To syringe her the medication, I like to sit on the ground with my knees up so I can hold them with my knees. Hold her wings to her body this way.
Then, use one hand to pinch the edges of her mouth, the top of her beak, or bottom of her beak so she'll open her mouth. She'll throw her head and struggle, but hold on until she stops. Placing a finger right on the inside of her beak so she can't close it can be helpful.
Once she has her mouth opened, place a long skinny syringe on the LEFT side of her mouth and push it towards the back of her throat. Then very quickly squirt the contents into her mouth. Then allow her to close. It all happens very quickly, but shouldn't be to difficult once you get her mouth opened.

Clean the wounds every day, not just once. They need to be kept moist with antibacterial ointment in between cleansings. Fish mox should be given as a direct dose of 250mg per day for seven to ten days. Diluting it in water is not how it's most effective for chickens.
How should I give it to her if not in water? She won't eat anything I try to give her?

All the amoxycillin I've used comes in a capsule. If yours are 250mg capsules, that's the correct dose. Just pop it directly into your hen's beak and she will swallow it without any problem.

If the capsule is 500mg, that will need to be divided into two doses since a chicken should only have 250mg. To do that, the powder has to be emptied out and divided into two piles. To make it so it's possible to give to a chicken, I take a half inch square piece of bread and dip it in olive oil and then use it to sop up half the powder. Chickens are suckers for bread, and your hen shouldn't hesitate to take it. To be sure, sprinkle a little sugar on it.

You may be hesitant to struggle with an uncooperative chicken. Take a towel and wrap your hen tightly in it, confining feet and wings so she can't use them to fight you. This actually will calm her down. Then pry open her beak, slip a finger inside to hold it open, and stick the pill inside. Done.

All the amoxycillin I've used comes in a capsule. If yours are 250mg capsules, that's the correct dose. Just pop it directly into your hen's beak and she will swallow it without any problem.

If the capsule is 500mg, that will need to be divided into two doses since a chicken should only have 250mg. To do that, the powder has to be emptied out and divided into two piles. To make it so it's possible to give to a chicken, I take a half inch square piece of bread and dip it in olive oil and then use it to sop up half the powder. Chickens are suckers for bread, and your hen shouldn't hesitate to take it. To be sure, sprinkle a little sugar on it.

You may be hesitant to struggle with an uncooperative chicken. Take a towel and wrap your hen tightly in it, confining feet and wings so she can't use them to fight you. This actually will calm her down. Then pry open her beak, slip a finger inside to hold it open, and stick the pill inside. Done.
Thank you, I will have to do the bread trick because I couldn't find 250 mg pills only 500 mg. She wouldn't talk anything yesterday so hopefully today she will. Also I plan on cleaning her wounds really well. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again :love

Thank you, I will have to do the bread trick because I couldn't find 250 mg pills only 500 mg. She wouldn't talk anything yesterday so hopefully today she will. Also I plan on cleaning her wounds really well. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks again :love
Well, we cleaned her really good this morning. We could not get the antibiotic into her but we put antimicrobial spray on her and neosporine. We cleaned her with saline first. We also gave her a shot of nutradrench. She is eating and drinking on her own now. One think she did do was while she was pecking food off the floor, water came out of her mouth. We did use a syringe to get water in her prior to her drinking on her own. Do you think she drank to much in one sitting after 2 days of not drinking much at all?

Don't worry about the water spilling out of her. You are correct. It's most likely the crop was sloshing in liquid. This is very common.

It sounds like she's doing well. It's good to hear.

Thanks to you!:love
My chicken is doing very well, eating and drinking. Her wounds are healing faster then I thought. This morning I woke up to some of her poop looking like this. Not sure why. I know your very knowledgeable so I thought I would ask.

Attachments

• 20211127_091335.jpg
    20211127_091335.jpg
    322.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211127_091328.jpg
    20211127_091328.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 3
Nothing to worry about at this time. That's intestinal lining shed. You shouldn't see any more, but if it persists in the poop, and it appears to become more of the poop content, then it may be possible she has an intestinal bacterial infection.

Again, no worries at this time.

Nothing to worry about at this time. That's intestinal lining shed. You shouldn't see any more, but if it persists in the poop, and it appears to become more of the poop content, then it may be possible she has an intestinal bacterial infection.

Again, no worries at this time.
You are right, all her poop now is normal! Sorry, just a paranoid chicken mom. I have never dealt with this and it has made me super paranoid.

Back
Top Bottom