Help! Help! Help! Baby needs help~

flopsy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
Three broody hens are doing a great job raising 5 little chicks together. However, they have ostracized the 6th, abandoning him and one even pecking at him. I have moved him (they are 3 and 4 days old) to a brooder box. He seems a little weak and is not running around like he was yesterday. This is my first time raising chicks with mamas. What can I do for him? The others are chipper and runing around like crazy, eating and drinking. I have him food and water, he's on paper towels and have heat on him. What's wrong? What can I do? Am I gonna lose him?

did they abandon him because he's sick?

Last edited:
I dont know for sure but I will be anxious to read others' opinions. I would say he is the runt and if you care for him, he could thrive. I think that is the way of nature in order to keep the species strong: the runt is often abandoned. Humans can intercede in these instances.

Without being there to actually see it - I'm going to guess that, yes, they realize there is something wrong with him and are letting nature take it's course.

It may still be possible for you to save him by keeping him in a brooder yourself. Is he eating, drinking and pooing properly? Can you put one of the other chicks with him so he's not by himself?

He is not eating and drinking properly today, although he did eat a little and he did take a little water. He was OK yesterday, as far as I could tell. One of the hens just chunked him today and I grabbed him up )so gently) and got him out of there and into a box with light and food and water. He does appear to be the "runt" of the 6 that were hatched.

If he were mine. I keep him with me. Do you have a shirt you can tie at the waste.... if so tuck him inside next to your warm body. Carry him around with you and talk to him. That is the Rx I would prescribe for the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom