HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!! Is he still alive???**PICS**

Quote:
i don't have him in an incubator, i have him in a cardboard box with a light over him and a thermometer right beside him.
hmm.png

my parent don't want to spend the money on an incubator.

Quote:
i don't have him in an incubator, i have him in a cardboard box with a light over him and a thermometer right beside him.
hmm.png

my parent don't want to spend the money on an incubator.

only a cardboard box?...this is gonna be a tough one then..
what has the thermometer been reading (highest temp.. lowest temp.. and the most constant temp)?
also.. does the box have a lid of any kind?

it CAN be done.. BUT it's also very tricky when you are just guessing at the humidity in something like a cardboard box.. and I will tell you now that even though it CAN be done in a box like that.. the success rate is NOT that high since turkeys need high humidity to hatch and it's hard to do with a cardboard box and not have mold grow

so tell us more about your setup and what you have done so far so we can advise on how to proceed into lockdown
also.. when did you candle last and exactly what did you see?

highest temp that i have been at is about 102 and the lowest is 97.no the box does not have a lid it has flaps. i was thinking of just putting plasic wrap over it, but what do you suggest? i have had him in there since june 30, so i am thinking 23 days, right? it is in a cardboard box with a clipping desk lamp and then i have the egg sitting in straw. right beside i have a candy thermometre, and a low dish with a wet sponge in it, my grandpa told me that i shoud wipe the egg with a sponge during lockdown so that the egg moistens ( is tht how you spell it?)and the chick can get out easier.would it hurt it to put it in anything else right now? when i was candling i saw a very slow moving dark blob. i havn't been able to see much since they have such a hard shell. but i have seen th air sac and the blob that takes up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the egg, it has been very slowly growing so i dont think tht it is dead, but......and we took all of our styrofoam chests to the dump the week before we got him. so we are out of luck there, any other suggestions??

Quote:
it takes 28 days for a turkey... with those temp swings he could be very early or very late.. assuming he hatches at all

your temp swings have been pretty bad.. so you need to TRY your best to keep it closer to 100.5 to 101.5 since you are using a box we'll have to consider it to be a "still air" incubator (no fan).. and I will tell you right now that there is a very good chance this little guy won't be able to hatch since it's going to be extremely hard to give him the proper environment.. but I'll help all i can

getting the humidity up and keeping it up is going to be impossible without a lid of some sort.. a lid WILL hold in a lot more heat.. so you may need to remove the egg for a bit while you play with temps.. do you know what watt the bulb is that you are using?.. you may have to go with a lower wattage bulb to keep the temps within range
So if you are determined to give this a try here's what you'll need to do

the box will need to be lined with some sort of plastic.. since you will be shooting for 80% humidity it's going to make that box "soggy" and will cause mold if you have to go beyond 28 days (with the temp swings it's hard to say if he's going to be early or late.. IF you saw movement then that tells me none of the temp extremes have killed him yet)

so line it with plastic wrap, shelf liner.. or something like that.. then line the bottom with a few layers of paper towels.. figure out what you can use for a lid.. and make sure there are some holes in it for air exchange.. you will alsi need to insulate the box with some blankets wrapped around the sides to help keep the temps more constant

you'll also need some dishes of water and probably lots of sponges or wash cloths.. something to increase the surface area of the water.. but also to keeping him from falling in and drowning himself should some miracle happen and he actually hatches.

once you get that done.. you will need to play with the temps with the lid on.. remember .. you don't want it too cold or too hot.. either extreme won't be good for it's survival

once you get the temps to stay within 100.5 to 101.5 you can put the egg back in.. make sure the sponges are saturated and that it's almost like a sauna in there.. warm and very very humid.. then sit back and pray or keep your fingers crossed or whatever it is you believe in for good vibes for him to hatch

thanks i really hope he is going to hatch, keep your fingers crossed
fl.gif
and if you saw the post that i posted earlier,i am sorry, and if you didn't then never mind:D i was feeling bad that my chances aren't very good.
hit.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom