Help help help

Great info there. From what I read, if you see a lash egg, that bird has already been infected for probably months. So there is no "catching it early" from the standpoint of treating a hen after you get a lash egg. Prognosis from that article is not good, I am afraid.

On a more practical note, and I hope I do not get flamed for this question, but if you have a chicken that passes a lash egg, can you still harvest the bird for meat or do you have to destroy the animal due to the infection? All my birds are dual purpose, and from the beginning I have planned to get eggs from them and then harvest them at some point.

To @jswilliams430, thank you for posting and I hope my question does not offend you or anyone else because I know lots of people here on BYC forums have chickens as pets. I am raising my flock for eggs and meat, so I look at this issue from that point of view.

There are a few YouTube videos on this subject and one of them has a treatment option of Oregano tea for the sick hen. She gives some special TLC to the sick hen but everyone in the flock is treated with the tea. I have no idea if that treatment is worth anything, but you could watch it and decide for yourself.

How old are your hens? Anyone acting off? What breeds do you have?

If you can figure out which one it is, she may benefit from an epsom salt bath to comfort her, I know they are good for drawing infection out in us , but I think they have to be treated with antibiotic too
They are 2.5 years old and I have two road island reds and two Plymouth rocks. They all seem to be acting fine and normal. I’m going to do a deep cleaning on their coop today so I will be out there longer with them and see if maybe I can figure out which on it is. If I do I will definitely give her a bath! Thank you!

Lash eggs and other reproductive disorders are very common in chickens. I have seen quite a few because my hens suffered from infectious bronchitis 6 years ago, and IB can affect the reproductive organs and kidneys problems. If you are not against using antibiotics, Baytril, which is banned for use in chickens, is the one that can treat the types of bacteria that cause lash eggs. This one is available without a prescription, and dosage is 0.05 ml per pound or 1/4 ml for a 5 pound chicken given orally once a day for 5-6 days:
https://www.jedds.com/shop/misc/
It may or may not extend her life. Some of my birds have developed enlarged abddomens between the legs, and many stopped laying early. I would try to keep your hen eating a drinking, and let her do what she feels up to doing. Someday if she seems to be suffering, I would consider putting her down. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Back
Top Bottom