HELP help help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by k&c poultry, Jul 21, 2011.

1. k&c poultry

k&c poultry Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    I just had a chick hatch about 2 hours ago he is pretty well dried off and is in the brooder with food and water and a heating source it's just been sitting around not trying to eat or nothing but chirping and moves when we pet him is this normal or what???

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    k&c poultry :

I just had a chick hatch about 2 hours ago he is pretty well dried off and is in the brooder with food and water and a heating source it's just been sitting around not trying to eat or nothing but chirping and moves when we pet him is this normal or what???

It's just tired, Hatching is a lot of work for a little chickie...​

3. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Oh, and it won't be hungry for a couple days, it's living off it's yolk sack it absorbed before hatching.

4. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    That's very normal. Chicks absorb the egg yolk right before hatching, and can go 48 hours without food or water. Just keep loving the little guy, and he'll be right as rain! [​IMG]

5. k&c poultry

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    Alright thank you both it's my first hatch and I'm so excited

6. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Oh, and a word of advice, leave the chicks in the incubator until all the eggs hatch, if you open the incubator you lose humidity which will compermise your hatch. The chicks will be fine in ther 2-3 days.

7. k&c poultry

Jul 2, 2011
    NJ
    Woke up this morning to 4 more lil ones!!!!!!! [​IMG]

8. mathesonfarm

mathesonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    New York
    YAY! [​IMG] My chicks are now 4, 3 and 2 days old but it took them about 24 hours before they were drinking and starting getting curious about their food. Happy hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by