Newly hatch quail chicks distress chirping

I noticed it when he was still in the incubator so I would assume it wasn’t a cold brooder floor. It could have been my fault. I let the humidity get low a couple times but I’m not sure so I will probably cull it later on. It does seem to get around just fine though.
The one with crooked toes didn’t make it. I’m not sure what happened but the other is doing great! It’s about 3 weeks old and I’m 90% sure it’s a female. Right before these hatched, I lost a hen out of one of my breeding groups. Actually lost her. She flew out while I was feeding and watering and I tried for 3 days to catch her with no luck. When can I add the new hen to the group? The others are about a year and a half.

The one with crooked toes didn’t make it. I’m not sure what happened but the other is doing great! It’s about 3 weeks old and I’m 90% sure it’s a female. Right before these hatched, I lost a hen out of one of my breeding groups. Actually lost her. She flew out while I was feeding and watering and I tried for 3 days to catch her with no luck. When can I add the new hen to the group? The others are about a year and a half.

Sorry to hear the little one didn't make it, but glad the other one is doing so well.

I rarely integrate or introduce Quail together, especially singles, so someone like @Nabiki or @007Sean may want to chime in. Quail (at least mine) seem to be quite territorial even within their own covey/group, so you would want to have plenty of space and hiding spots with a way to not get boxed or blocked in.
3weeks, imho, is too young to introduce as a single to adults. I'd wait until she's "grown" before trying. Probably 10weeks or so.

What a bummer to lose one like that. They can get gone quickly. I've lost a few to my dog when they flew, bad to say, but it is what it is. I've also had a couple get loose, but they came back to their rooster calling. Probably lucky on that part.

Depends on alot of factors, how docile they are or how aggressive, cover or hiding places, amount of space available, in cages or ground enclosures, plus others not mentioned.

I wouldn't try to integrate it until it was at least 6 to 8 weeks old. Until then I would do as @Nabiki , has advised.

Back
Top Bottom