1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by abcr, Nov 5, 2013.

1. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    Someone please help me my hen laid a CRAZY egg today I let the flock into the allotment after 2 minutes she started squatting then she waddled over onto the vegetable patch when it popped out. I left it a few minutes to dry out I put them back in their coop then I picked it up and it has small patches of blood on it.

Also is It serious if a hen has blood in her poop

PLEASE HELP [​IMG][​IMG]

2. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Blood in the poop can be a sign of coccidosis. Cocci can be treated with amproullium/ brand name would be corid or amprol. Most feed stores carry it.if she does have coccidosis and its not treated yes it can be fatal. As for the egg can you post a picture of what is concerning you about it? Sometimes young pullets especially if they hadn't layed before can have a small amount of blood on the egg shell with their first few eggs. mime did that with her first egg. But if your bird had been laying for awhile now I'm not exactly sure why she would have the blood on the egg shell. Perhaps someone else can help with that. The only time I've experienced the blood on the shell
    is with first time layers. But yes I would be concerned with blood in the feces as that IS a sign of coccidosis, ... older birds can get cocci too. I really hope this had helped some. I wish you the best. I would get the corid or amprol (amproullium) as soon as possible and start treatment if bloody feces is present.. Good luck to you and God bless.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is not uncommon for hens, especially young ones, to have some blood on the egg shell. As long as there isn't copious amounts of blood, there is little to worry about. Mites around the vent can also caused blood streaked shells, so I would check her for small moving specks and treat if necessary.

Another possibility that realsis mentioned, though more rare in older birds, is Coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a protozoan infection of the digestive tract. Symptoms include droopiness, ruffled feathers, bloody droppings, and sudden death. It can usually be treated quite well with Corid; if not treated though, it is eventually fatal.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

5. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    My hen with the bloodbstreak egg is two years but has only layed for a month or so could it be dehydration because we have a small hen house I had water for them but they kicked it over so i replaced with a dish. I shall wait and see her egg tommorow shall check her vent tommorow she seems fine god bless for all the help

6. abcr

abcr Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2013
    she is not at all drowsy no blood I'm droppings i have a 40 week old hen (blood droppings) she hasnt laid an egg in a while (seasons) my other hen is the one with the blood egg she runs happy as pie no ruffled feathers I shall check her vent thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by