HELP! Hen Acting depressed, doesnt eat much, and is always fluffed up!

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
1) What type of bird , age and weight. gold star I think, 2 1/2 I got her 1 month ago, under weight
2) What is the behavior, exactly. doesnt talk much, seems depressed, doesnt roost anymore
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? ( 2 weeks about?_
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. (no)
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. (no)
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. ( not much, but does eat and drink)
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. ( I dont know)
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?( No, I just started to reconize)
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? " its late at night and I just started thinking to myself she isnt acting right"
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. "no"
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Last edited:
Of course there could be many causes. First thing I would do is treat for mites/lice, all chickens are going to get some sooner or later, from wild birds. If you can, I'd ask the previous owner if they ever wormed their birds. If you can't find out, then I'd give a round of wazine, then in a few weeks give another wormer. Any of these 3 can cause a bird to lose weight and even die.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=203048&p=2

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=425486

Yes I would check for mites too. I have a coronation Sussex that about died from mites. He was so skinny. I thought he might have mites and treated with ivermectin pour on and also sevin. a month later he was about dead so I thought it was something else. I had looked before and never saw mites but treated anyway. I watched him for a while and he was so weak but would peck at him self over and over so I knew he had to have mites even though I could not see any. When I turned him over and saw scabs and still no might. I brought him in the house and used Adams flea shampoo and some came to the top of the water. I put him on a towel and in an hour there were live mites everywhere. HOW GROSS! The next morning he was about dead and the mites were still everywhere and alive! I figured I was gonna loose him so I tried a bad thing and put bug killer on him[and they are all dead. I check him all the time and treat him when I see him peck at him self. I fog my coop regular now and dust.
Quote:

Not sure if you've already done this, but I would pull her out and get her somewhere safe and warm until you can figure out whats going on. Always good advice until you get a handle on the situation.

I have on doing the same thing, she is in the house now, but been a week, just diarrhea now from not eating good. I am clueless. Have tried all I can think of so I hope you get an answer to this.

Back
Top Bottom