HELP! Hen crushed one side of egg. Day 19. Blood everywhere.

can you block off the nest box she is in so that she can't get out and nobody else can get in? Just a bit of cardboard over the front. I'd put the eggs back under her tbh. She will have a better hatch rate than an incubator. And will take to the chicks better if they hatch under her

Ok, it is nearly 5am and 4 in total hatched healthy yesterday. I put them under the broody because they kept chirping really loudly (like the sound the make when the don't have their mum) when I left the incubator. I only risked opening the bator because:
1. None others have externally pipped.
2. The humidity was really high and I was trying to lower it.
3. Those babies needed their mummy!
4. All the chicks were mostly dry and strong enough to be moved.
I have been checking the mother and her chickies throughout the night and she is doing well. The little chicks are tucked under her feathers. I always forget how small they are when the first hatch! I am staying up to be there to supervise when the sun rises. If all goes well then I will move the mum and her chicks into the cage (located inside the coop to reduce some stress). I promise pics are coming soon! From what I can tell there is 1 slw chick! The rest are yellow so I am not sure what breed they are (I am not very good with breeds).
Also there is some really loud chirping going on in the bator with the rest of the eggs.

Ok so Nelly has never been very aggressive to me when broody, only a few soft picks and some growls. So I was not harmed while taking these chicks. Here is one of the yellow chicks.
20201017_051901.jpg

Back
Top Bottom