Help hen didn't return and it's cold!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BellsCluckers, Mar 4, 2017.

1. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    My hen didn't return to the coop like she usually does. I live in VT and it's going to be in the single digits tonight [​IMG] I don't use a heat light on them but they are usually together when they sleep. I have looked in every crevice of the lawned and around the house and I just can't find her. Everyone else has returned so I know she is alone. Is she going to be ok. [​IMG]

2. Evart Chickens

Evart Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2015
    Hey Bellscluckers, I live in MI so I understand about the cold weather and wondering where your girls are. Do you have a pole barn or garage where she could have gotten into? Mine will sometimes get into mine and "get lost" in there until morning. Once I found a girl on a shelf behind the chainsaws. If you have treats like mealiwoms you could try to ferret her out with them. I have mine in a bag that I shake and they come running. Good luck.

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    If it's dark, go outside look under bushes and in trees - you may find her huddled or roosting. I hope you find her.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Has she returned this morning? Most times that has happened, mine will be there first thing looking for their flock. I hope that you find her. I had a polish hen who was low in the pecking order, and I found her roosting in nearby bushes more than once when it was getting dark.

5. BellsCluckers

BellsCluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    I am impressed. She returned this morning and last night it was in the low single digits. I am glad I don't supplement heat for them because she was able to use her natural evolutionary traits to keep her self warm! Our chickens are just so impressive.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm so glad to hear that she is back. Lucky that they will usually find a good place to roost and hopefully hide from predators.

7. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad she returned!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by