HELP hen dying

Pics

TheTwoRoos

Crowing
Sep 25, 2015
I have a 4 year old redsexlink with some type of bug on her.These tiny bugs are killing her causing her to pull feathers out,lay around head bobbling,she look so ill.What might they be their smallish and somewhat long and brown Need help,she is suffering.

I have a 4 year old redsexlink with some type of bug on her.These tiny bugs are killing her causing her to pull feathers out,lay around head bobbling,she look so ill.What might they be their smallish and somewhat long and brown Need help,she is suffering.
It sounds like fleas or feather lice give her a bath in Dawn dish soap original no smelly stuff. It will release her agitation with the bugs and they will fall off don't get the chickens head wet there is an article on how to bathe your chickens in showing your chickens on BYC. They also have tips on keeping fleas and lice off.

You can also make a dust bath to keep at her own space for whenever she wants. Dirt , sand and wood ashes.this will help with the bugs and itching.

Lice and mites are common in chickens. On what part of her body are you seeing them? Permethrin 5-10% spray or the poultry and garden dust may be used to treat an outbreak, and available at TSC and other farm or garden stores. Lice need retreatment in 10 days as eggs hatch, and mites need it in 7 days. Stick tight fleas are common around the face in tropical areas, such as Florida, and will respond to permethrin as well.

I am using permentian spray,I originally treated coop yesterday several times.I just treated all my birds with the spray.the hen is now settling down,and even tried walking after treatment.

How often would I need to keep the coop clean out and retreat again?I have a trip somewhere 2 weekends from now,so I have the time.

I also am mixing all the ashes from what i burn and some poultry dust (AKA permthian dust 0.25% I believe).

I hav been spotting them on the neck,on both my rooster and two other hens.The others are not doing so bad,I was also wondering can you treat scaly leg mites with permithian spray.I have been using Vaseline and scrubbing the feet,the chickens are losing scales and looking better with feet mites on other hand.

Use ash with care as I have been told by other poultry owners that they have been known to cause respiratory problems by chickens inhaling the ash dust as they bathe.

I use Ivermectin topical for external parasite control. There is a thread on BYC that will tell you how to apply. I use 1drop for small bantam hens, 2 for bantam roosters, 3 for standard hens and 4 on standard large roosters.

Did it work well?

I am beginning to think this is old age or some other sickness.Her CASE isn't a infestation,I have only ran across a few.
I need to speretae her but do not wanna risk more mites spread.The younger girls realize she is weak and have the urge to attack her.

Back
Top Bottom