HELP!!!Hen fast breathing, laying down, high pitched chirpi

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by audreyjo, Sep 19, 2010.

1. audreyjo

audreyjo Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2008
    Hi There,
    Yesterday my barred rock of about 6 months old started a high pitched barking noise while she was eating. I assumed that she was just eating too fast because she was really shoveling it in, but today she is rather listless. Her breathing is rapid, she walks a few steps and then lays down, her beak is wide open like she is too hot or struggling for air. There is no sign of discharge from the eyes or noise. Does anyone know what this is? I have separated her from our little flock and given her plenty of food and water. Any ideas?

Thanks A Bunch! You all always seem to have some good advice.

She has been vaccinated for Marek's if that helps.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Has your flock been exposed to new chickens? Or have you been visiting other people's chickens?

3. audreyjo

May 19, 2008
    No new chickens, no visiting others. I have 12 chickens and only one is exhibiting the symptoms.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The only other thing I can think of to ask (since I have no experience with respiratory disease in chickens) is:

Has there been any moldy feed or poisoning opportunities in the yard?

I dearly hope that someone will nail it for you. Here is a common poultry diseases website that might be useful to you:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. audreyjo

May 19, 2008
    No bad feed and no poison. Thanks for your help, I will check out the website.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by