Help! Hen has Injured foot!

She can see out the pop door too so she can still see everyone else even if they are in the run.
Was she pretty calm when you put her back in the crate?
Does she have water to drink?
A little dish of snow can be a fair back up to avoid, or in case of, spilled water.
Anyone to check on her during the day?(I assume you work or got to school all day)

Was she pretty calm when you put her back in the crate?
Does she have water to drink?
A little dish of snow can be a fair back up to avoid, or in case of, spilled water.
Anyone to check on her during the day?(I assume you work or got to school all day)

For the most part she was pretty calm, considering she was just picked up. I didn't put any water inside because I didn't want her to spill it but I have some frozen water that will slowly melt that I will put in there.

I'm off today but running errands, but I will be in and out every hour or two to check on her.

Well I let her out of the crate because she was clearly unhappy, she was fidgeting and fussing quite a bit. I put her out in the run and while she has mostly been laying down, she is eating and drinking and pecking around for things. I'm just conflicted what to do. Im going to observe her for a bit and then I may splint it up again and let her go about as usual. I don't think the crate is going to be a good idea again.

I did make and install a waterer in the coop so she can go in the and eat and drink if she pleases without having to come outside for food.

IMG_20191116_140059704_HDR.jpg

Have they figured out the cup waterer?
Make sure there is a vent hole(1/16") in the lid of waterer or it will stop flowing after awhile due to vacuum lock.

Is she limping heavily?
I'd just leave her be and put her in crate at night.

I don't think they've tried the cup waterer yet because they've pretty much been outside since I installed it.

I would say it is a moderate to heavy limp, though to my untrained eyes it looks maybe slightly better than it was yesterday. Definitely doesn't look worse. She is walking on it a small amount and spreading her foot normally when she does use it, which she wasn't doing yesterday. The bone did not feel broken when I felt it yesterday, and she didn't fidget or squawk when I touched and moved it, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean it isn't broken.

I let her out of the crate because she was getting so frantic I was afraid she might injure herself even more by jumping around in the crate. She has been out in the straw in the run since I let her out, and most of that time she has spent laying down, though she does get up every few minutes and moves to a different spot or goes to the feeder or waterer. I made a few changes to the coop but my phone died before I could get pictures. I'll get some later this evening.

I let her out of the crate because she was getting so frantic I was afraid she might injure herself even more by jumping around in the crate.
Good move.
It's hard to decide when to isolate to 'force' rest and when to leave her be.
Good to make them rest some, but if they are too frantic in crate then it can do more harm than good.
Maybe try crating her at night and letting her go during the day.

Exactly, she is much calmer outside of the crate.

I already showed the waterer in the coop that I added, but here are pictures of some of the work I did.

First I put down plastic over the run door, since the door side seems to get the most wind (all the sides get wind but the door side gets the most).

IMG_20191116_165827770-2137x1603.jpg

Secondly I think Lucy could have injured herself on the ramp. It also could have happened on the roosting ladder or anywhere else, but she always seemed to struggle with the ramp. So I added a cinder block under it to make it less steep. They can then just jump up or down from the end. It makes it less steep and hopefully easier for them to walk on.

IMG_20191116_165556474-2137x1603.jpg

I went to TSC today and bought more wood chips to fill up the coop since I ran out yesterday. Then I found a piece of plywood in the shed that was about the right size for a poop board. Hopefully it makes the bedding last a little longer.

IMG_20191116_170037701-2137x1603.jpg

Here is a short video of her, you can see her try to walk then just lay down.

Back
Top Bottom