Help! Hen is being beat up!

Lmn457

Hatching
Oct 31, 2018
I have a hen that is about 4 years or older. She has always gotten along with all of my hens. I only have 3 hens and 1 rooster. For the past 2 wks approx., she won't come down from the roost, won't socialize, and doesn't want to come out of the coop when I let them out for free range time. One hen has been picking on her, but nothing violent. No injuries. I don't know what to do because I have to go and take her down every day just so she can be by herself to eat and drink something, which isn't much, and then she runs right back up to roost and stays there all day. She doesn't look or act sick. Not sure what else to do. Please help! Thx!

I have a hen that is about 4 years or older. She has always gotten along with all of my hens. I only have 3 hens and 1 rooster. For the past 2 wks approx., she won't come down from the roost, won't socialize, and doesn't want to come out of the coop when I let them out for free range time. One hen has been picking on her, but nothing violent. No injuries. I don't know what to do because I have to go and take her down every day just so she can be by herself to eat and drink something, which isn't much, and then she runs right back up to roost and stays there all day. She doesn't look or act sick. Not sure what else to do. Please help! Thx!

Update! Now it’s becoming more violent. The bully hen and bully rooster are beating up on her when she comes down to try and eat from the roost. Help!

Some of the more experienced behaviorists will be along shortly, I'm sure.

In the meantime, isolate her from the others so they cannot attack her.

Perhaps the others sense something is wrong with her and that is why they are attacking her. I had that happen with a pullet that had cancer.

I read on another post that they would separate the offending bird by putting it in a dog crate within the coop, or run for a couple of days and that would stop the aggression.

I also have a pullet that is being picked on. She is about 18 weeks old and the rest of my pullets are 24-25 weeks old. I have her in a dog cage in the coop with food and water while she heals up a little. I am wondering if the other pullets will ever accept her into the group.

If may be worth it to make a separate little run/roost/coop for her so she won't be beaten up by the others. I have a very large 2nd run with a little coop myself and it's been wonderful for that purpose many times. After my hen was broody, the others would pick on her and I put her in this 2nd run for a week or two. Now they leave her alone. Would that be possible for you? :hugs

I was having that issue here. Two separate occasions. My Flock would start attacking my Pullets that were Broody raised after they began laying for two months or so. I got fed up and got rid of my entire flock. Chickens stress me out..:barnie..

She may be molting.....or may actually be sick.
More space and multiple feed and water stations may help.

I'd isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so you can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Back
Top Bottom