Help! HEN LOSING WEIGHT-DARK GREEN FECES-MOANING AND GROANING!

CallyB57

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Northeast Louisiana
I have tried everything to help my hen. She is a 2-yr old dark brahma. She has just come out of molt, but is not laying any eggs. She has very dark green feces (color of pond algae - kind of a dark bluish green) surrounded by yellow liquid. She is losing weight and will eat nothing except sweet peas in yogurt. She moans and groans and is unsteady on her feet. She started losing weight about 5 or 6 weeks ago, but she had started molting, so I thought it was just part of the process. I discovered she was losing too much weight one day when I picked her up to pet her up and realized she weighed so little and her breastbone is sticking out and is bony. Her comb, wattles, and earlobes are a washed out pale pink - almost no color left in them. She closes her eyes while standing in one place for extended periods of time. I don't believe any bones are broken..she walks very slowly like she is tired. Her feed has been fresh - I make sure of that before giving them feed from a new bag. She has access to fresh water every day. My whole flock was wormed with Wazine, but there were still worms moving in one of my rooster's feces. I then added Rooster Booster to their feed and followed directions carefully. I have given my flock a 24 hr access to aureomycin (sp?) about 6 wks ago, before worming them, as some of them had such watery poo that I thought they might have coccidiosis. No other birds are sick and I don't see any more worms in their fresh poo.
She has no sores, mites, problems with her feet, but her skin is dry and she sheds a lot of white looking pieces of feather stuff. Her new feathers are still growing and she is not bald anywhere on her body. Her vent is wet, but does not look strange and I looked with a magnifying glass and a flashlight all around her vent and under her feathers in different spots on her body for mites or other abnormal things - she is not bleeding anywhere. When she drinks water I can hear her crop/stomach growling like she is having hunger pangs. Does anybody have a clue what could be wrong with her?
hit.gif

I forgot to say - I also give her some of those popular baby vitamins in her water - a few drops only, and I have also put a teaspoon of Braggs ACV in her water - I swap out with fresh water.

Her crop seems to be empty almost all the time, except for when she has just eaten her sweet peas and yogurt. After that, I feel the crop and it has a small kind of soft bulge there. Do you think she could have worms in her crop? Should I go to TSC and get some SafeGuard for goats and mix it for her?

She may be having issues coming back into lay after her molt. That is when I start to lose mine sometimes. It's like they malfunction after their "vacation". The yellow could be yolk in her poop. The green means she isn't eating much, most likely. All you can do is provide good nutrition and fresh water and hope she recovers. If she is laying internally, there is nothing you can do for her, sadly. I've lost 9 hens to that. How does her abdomen feel? Is it bloated, hard, normal?

I am not sure about her abdomen - I'm assuming it's right below her crop - or is it between her legs? I will check and let you know what I feel - I won't be back at my computer until Monday. Thank you for the help. She is eating okay - still eating only the yogurt, sweet peas and yesterday some grass clippings - I am letting her spend time with the flock daily so she won't be depressed. I hope she makes it.

Quote:
I used Rooster Booster in 50# of Layena when finished with the Wazine-17. Have you ever used Rooster Booster? Maybe it didn't work. It's a pellet.

Back
Top Bottom