HELP! HEN PARALYZED!

tawirth604

Songster
Mar 30, 2018
I need help! I’ve had a hen in the house for three weeks due to weight loss, bright green diarrhea, and loss of appetite. I dewormed her twice (2 doses-10 days apart), and gave probiotics. She has been doing fantastic. Appetite is back, poop is normal, and she l’s been acting like herself. Then this morning I noticed she couldn’t get up. I’m terrified of Marek’s or New Castle, but I would think she’d be dead by now and not improving. I highly doubt botulism as she’s been inside and hasn’t had access to bad food. Could it be a vitamin deficiency?? I’m getting some vitamin B today, but I was hoping someone else has dealt with this before and can shed some light. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Has she been paralyzed before today? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? What is her exact age? Does she lay eggs normally? Mareks does sound possible, but if she has been sick that long, it might be something else. Mareks is everywhere, but virulent Newcastles is seldom found in the US except for an outbreak in s. California 2 years ago. Botulism comes from eating a toxin produced by dead animal, fish, or vegetation that has been buried or underwater (without oxygen.) It comes on quickly paralyzing the whole body, and death occurs with a day or so, so that probably can be ruled out.

Lameness can occur from egg binding, pressure on the le nerves feom infection or tumors, and weakness over time. Make sure that she is close to food and water always, and consider making a chicken sling to get her up. There are examples here for slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Has she been paralyzed before today? Was she vaccinated for Mareks? What is her exact age? Does she lay eggs normally? Mareks does sound possible, but if she has been sick that long, it might be something else. Mareks is everywhere, but virulent Newcastles is seldom found in the US except for an outbreak in s. California 2 years ago. Botulism comes from eating a toxin produced by dead animal, fish, or vegetation that has been buried or underwater (without oxygen.) It comes on quickly paralyzing the whole body, and death occurs with a day or so, so that probably can be ruled out.

Lameness can occur from egg binding, pressure on the le nerves feom infection or tumors, and weakness over time. Make sure that she is close to food and water always, and consider making a chicken sling to get her up. There are examples here for slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
No. She was up walking around yesterday and totally normal. She laid an egg either yesterday or this morning. She has been eating and drinking, and I’ve been giving her Nutridrench and vitamin D. She has since started standing a little, but she’s wobbly. All of my other chickens are fine thus far.

No. She was up walking around yesterday and totally normal. She laid an egg either yesterday or this morning. She has been eating and drinking, and I’ve been giving her Nutridrench and vitamin D. She has since started standing a little, but she’s wobbly. All of my other chickens are fine thus far.

She is 2 years old and hasn’t been vaccinated for Marek’s.

I sure will. I scrambled her an egg and held it in front of her to coax her to walk, and she did, just wobbly. I’m going to continue giving her the B12 and Nutridrench. Praying it’s not Marek’s.

Two years old is a bit old to start showing symptoms of Mareks unless you may have added a new chicken to your flock who could have been a carrier. It usually strikes young chickens in the first year of life.

UPDATE:
She’s walking! :) She’s still getting her legs, but her movement is more controlled and almost normal. I wouldn’t think she would have a turn around if it were Marek’s, so it’s looking like it’s vitamin deficiency.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to give her some vitamin E and Selenium too in that vitamin cocktail. I use the liquid vitamin E, vitamin B and half a crushed up selenium tablet and mix it into a little greek yogurt. It's worked wonders on a flipper and a stargazer chick just this year alone. Gave it to them for about a week and a half and all was right again. :)

Back
Top Bottom