HELP Hen sits on floor and only stares upwards

Oh ok.

Im already into it.
smile.png
Im a vet volunteer and Im planning on becoming a vet.

Now it makes better sense (and, of course you are ~'-)

This case might turn out to be one for the books ...

Unfortunatly the little girl didn´t make it through the night. All the others, 10 girls and 2 Roosters, are fine, good appetite, running around every where picking scrathing etc.

Unfortunatly the little girl didn´t make it through the night. All the others, 10 girls and 2 Roosters, are fine, good appetite, running around every where picking scrathing etc.

I was fearful of that ... too often, emergencies arise on the weekend, when even those that occur late at night often prove fatal by the time folks can get what they need. I'm really sorry, Mark.

Although she's the only bird to have shown symptoms, it'd be much better to take her loss as an indication of a flock-wide problem, to which she was merely most sensitive. Often, the 'runt' of the flock, or even the largest among them, have genetic issues, or it can even be that one has more internal parasites than any other, or greater damages as a result of 'em.

Eliminating any foods that contain thiaminase enzymes, or are highly goitrogenic, followed by supplementation w/ most esp. the water soluble vitamins would be most beneficial to 'em all.

I'm gonna cut 'n paste some information from another thread ...

It's the last product, which contains 13 vitamins, that'd be most useful. Even if not as a product for your use, than the ingredients are almost a recipe as to an ideal balance.

Kaeco Bird Powder from Jeffers is a good value, and an excellent source of the microorganisms, and contains many of the vitamins birds are too often deficient of when raised on commercially available feeds -- typically, many of the vitamins the labels claim are not biologically available to the bird at the time of consumption, or they simply fail to include what they promise to deliver (all to common nowadays w/ Ralston and DuMor feeds, for example).

Product Details (Do NOT click this one; use the one below)

For All Birds
Contains 10 billion colony forming units of live (viable) naturally occurring microorganisms including L. acidophilus, L. casei, L. fermentum and L. plantarum. Also Streptococcus faecium and active yeast saccharomyces cerevisiac. Recommended as part of the management program for birds subjected to changing environmental or nutritional conditions or after antibiotic therapy or deworming.
Made with dried whey, dried egg product and dried honey. A full compliment of vitamins A, D, E, B12, niacin, folic acid and calcium. May top dress over moist food.
Weight/Dosage:
8 gm - 40 gm body weight -- 1/8 Teaspoon
40 gm - 200 gm body weight -- 1/4 Teaspoon
200 gm - 500 gm body weight -- 1/2 Teaspoon
1000 gm + body weight -- 1 Teaspoon

But ... it ain't natural for me to dig shallow. So, I looked into other products, finding this ...

Ameri-Vet's 68 Soluble* costs under eighteen bucks for four pounds of "a vitamin and electrolyte supplement with dried fermentation products, acidifiers and chelated trace minerals for poultry and livestock," and it'd be an excellent alternative to ProBios, too.
*Manufactured by Ameri-Pac, and formerly known as FeedMate 68 from Anchor and MicroMate from BioCeutic/Boehringer Ingelheim
>> peck here << to see a pdf version of the product's labeling (including analysis ~'-)

At Kaeco's website, I found somethin' that could be used to specifically treat birds for deficiencies, provided their diets are improved, so as to reduce goitrogenic substances and eliminate thiaminase enzymes. And, it's right there on their website, but under a different label ...

Avi-Con is a dietary supplement containing 13 essential vitamins, and comes in a 50 Gram bottle for only eight bucks.

Each measure contains 100mg Avi-Con, which provides:

• Vitamin A - 200IU
  • Vitamin D3 - 25 IU
  • Vitamin E - 1 IU
  • Thiamine - 100 mcg
  • Riboflavin - 300 mcg
  • Pyridoxine - 100 mcg
  • Vitamin B12 - 1 mcg
  • Biotin - 4 mcg
  • Choline - 4000 mcg
  • Folic Acid - 60 mcg
  • Niacin - 300 mcg
  • Pantothenic Acid - 300 mcg
  • Manadione (K3) - 200 mcg

Again, I'm really sorry she didn't make it ... I know how hard it is to find some things in Germany, so if you need a relay point from w/in the US? Just lemme know.

Last edited:
So sorry, Gul. My favorite girl Penny (also a RIR) had the same problem. Cowcreek seems quite educated, but my 'bird' vet thought she was eggblocked. He 'cleaned her out' with some rubber gloves and pumped her full of fluids. Two hours later I buried her in the yard. If you ever wanted to see a grown man cry that would have been your day. If I had to do it again, I would try to get on her feet and moving, stick her in a nesting box and pray. Wishing you the best of luck, P
This is an old post that I’ve stumbled on because my oldest hen started stargazing and walking backwards tonight. Just wanted to say, I’m so sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom