HELP! Hen twitching her head a lot

Today, she seems lethargic and is sitting around a lot

They are still on medicated chick started, and I have electrolytes, amprolium, and probiotics in their water. I have them on amprolium because I got 5 week old chicks a few weeks ago who had coccidiosis. They are full recovered now, but I have it in their water as extra preventative. Two of the coccidia birds who fully recovered a few weeks ago,

I try to keep diatomaceous earth in their coop to keep the mites and fleas away
How old is she?
Is she laying eggs?

How long exactly have you been giving Corid? just curious.

I would check her for lice/mites, look inside her ears for any debris/mites/infection.
I would also check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight.

I suggest that once you finish the bag of medicated chick starter, transition to unmedicated. At 5 weeks and beyond, if the chicks have been treated and they are in the environment in which they will be living, then they should have built resistance.

Let us know how your checks come out. If you can get photos of her poop that may be helpful as well.

Try to rule out lice or mites on the skin, looking through feathers under the belly, vent, wings, and neck. Some twitching can be neurological, especially if it is rhythmic, but irritation from something in ears, or mucus in the airway can also cause it. Over time, you should be able to understand what the cause may be. Hopefully, it is not something like Mareks disease.

Update on the chickens: STILL NEED YOUR HELP!!

Today I switched them to layer feed and added thiamine supplements to their water to treat potential thiamine deficiency from the Corid. Not seeing a huge improvement. No one touched the food today and I found goopy bright green poo this afternoon. I attached a photo

Attachments

• tempImagen8daDH.png
    tempImagen8daDH.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 8
What feed were they on before? I would gradually change their feed, and try giving some moistened feed and scrambled egg. Are there some nutritious treats that they will usually take? I would add a little thiamine to the feed or a little egg, but they may not like to drink the water with anything in it. Green poop is usually from not eating enough.

What feed were they on before? I would gradually change their feed, and try giving some moistened feed and scrambled egg. Are there some nutritious treats that they will usually take? I would add a little thiamine to the feed or a little egg, but they may not like to drink the water with anything in it. Green poop is usually from not eating enough.
They were on medicated chick starter before. I put blackberries in their for them yesterday, but they didn't touch them. They love watermelon so maybe I will try that tomorrow. I have not tried a scrambled egg yet, but I may whip one up and stick it with them in their coop tonight. Do you think intestinal worms could be the cause? Also, it seems to only be one hen with green poo (so far that I have seen), and it is the one I was originally having the head twitching, laziness problems with. She sits around a lot. even let me bump her and didn't budge (usually they require me to "chase" them to pick them up). I picked her up and she came to the realization she was being held and flapped her wings to be put down. She is still walking and getting around as of now.

Back
Top Bottom