Help hen wheezing sneezing

BrinaM

Songster
5 Years
Apr 23, 2017
TN
My year old buff hen started wheezing and sneezing or coughing sounds like a dog bark. She was fine yesterday. What can be done to help her. I removed her from rest of the flock and gave her water with dropper. Also, did the Qtip test for worms nothing seen. Put Vicks under nostrils to try to help with breathing and gave her 1/2 of cc of antibiotic. Breathing was a little better but still wheezing. Is there anything I can get to help with the wheezing. Help needed. Thank you.

Hello! How's she doing today?

I think that a little more information is needed to help ID the problem... are there any other symptoms of which you can think? Do you know what her poop looks like? (pictures of everything are great.)

@azygous

EDT'd so I'm not calling on people when the situation appears solved.

Last edited:
It sounds like a respiratory infection, but more information is necessary. If it is a CRD, an antibiotic can help unless it's fungal instead of bacterial, in which case you'd need to treat it with an anti-fungal. If you have an agricultural lab, you could see about having some mucous samples tested.

A vaporizer can often help a chicken with a CRD breathe better, and peppermint in the water can really help.

I think that a little more information is needed to help ID the problem... are there any other symptoms of which you can think? Do you know what her poop looks like? (pictures of everything are great.)

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@azygous

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@azygous
sh

Yesterday morning she was alot t better we did get the vet RX and treated her with it also. She is eating well and laying and breathing normal. So happy she is one of my favs she was my Clyde with my Bonnie that is actualy a Claudette . Thank you very much. I learned from this site what to try and it was spot on. So thankful.

@casportpony
@Wyorp Rock
@Eggcessive
@azygous

It sounds like a respiratory infection, but more information is necessary. If it is a CRD, an antibiotic can help unless it's fungal instead of bacterial, in which case you'd need to treat it with an anti-fungal. If you have an agricultural lab, you could see about having some mucous samples tested.

A vaporizer can often help a chicken with a CRD breathe better, and peppermint in the water can really help.
Thank you for the information. She is fine today breathing normal and eating well. Remarkable turn around I was very surprised and very thankful. But, if it would of been fungal how is that treated? Thank you for the information. I was in panic mode. We have horses but new to the chickens. Huge difference medicating them. 1/2 cc verses 20. Lol. Thank you again.

Fluconazole treats most fungal respiratory disease, but it requires a prescription from a vet. Also, a vaporizer with Oxine in the water will kill respiratory fungal spores. No prescription needed for Oxine, but I haven't found it in stores. You need to order it online.

Back
Top Bottom