HELP!! Hen with a wound!!

Ilovemyladies!

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Hills of Kentucky
So let me cut to the chase-- I have a hen with a wound under her left wing and I'm not sure what got her. It looks like it is trying to scab over but the scab is turning black. I've cleaned it with Peroxide and put Biozide Gel Wound Dressing on it yesterday night and I just re-applied it. Since she has loss of appetite/thirst I have been giving her egg yolks in a syringe. I didn't think she would but she laid an egg also! I'm not sure what to do so I have a couple questions that I need answers to ASAP!!!
1. How long should it take to scab over/recover?
2. Am I using the right medication?
3. Should I be prepared to cull (If I have to take her outta her misery and pain I will, but she was my very first hen, so It would be a somewhat hard)
4. Should I keep feeding her egg yolk?

PLEASE HELP!!!!
-Shannon
hit.gif

Last edited:
You'd probably do better to clean it with a diluted betadine solution, made to look like weak tea. You can put anything from Blu-Kote on it to Vetericyn Spray or even Neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment<WITHOUT any pain reliever in it> and it should heal up fine unless it looks infected at some point. In that case you'd need to use something stronger with antibiotic/antiseptic properties. Make sure you keep a sharp eye out for any fly activity because they will lay eggs and it'll get maggots in it in this weather.

I'd scramble the eggs and feed them to her that way to give her some extra protein.
I also use Poultry Nutri Drench a lot to boost immune system and give them a bit of a push if they are not up to par.

Did you say the wound was under her wing? Do you have a rooster? I had a hen that had a wound under her wing and it was from our rooster over-mating the girls.

Ilovemyladies! :

Thank you so much!! Where could I get Blu-Kote and Poultry Nutri Drench? From Tractor Supply Maybe??

I know TSC carries the Blu Kote...my personal advice is to get the dauber bottle..and make sure you have on something you don't care gets dirty cos it never fails you become just as purple as they do when you use it.
I learned the hard way not to spray it..even though it's quicker..I had more on me than the bird!
The Poultry Nutri Drench they may have, but I don't know..I ordered mine online from Jefferslivestock.com
I use it on bread mostly because the bread soaks it up and they readily eat it, though you can also add to their water.

Vetericyn Spray I also ordered online and keep in my Chicken Emergency stuff, it's worked miracles in wounds that I thought were going to take forever to heal.

Also, check all in your coop and run and see if there are any wires or nails out that could've done the injury so that it doesn't happen again or it gets somewhere not so great like an eye.

I hope she heals up quickly!​

I looked it up and it said also for poultry, so I used it. She's already drinking water and eating her feed!! I'm still gonna feed her egg yolk once a day. And I know we aren't outta the woods just yet but things are looking GREAT!!! And let's hope it stays great!!
fl.gif
Thanks for all your answers!!

**And Wonder Dust is also awesome b/c it helps control order which attracts flies, so WONDER DUST = NO FLIES!!! HOORAY FOR WONDER DUST!!!!!!!
big_smile.png

-Shannon:)

Last edited:
Wonder dust is great to use, yes! I forgot about it totally since I don't have horses anymore. I also use an ointment called SWAT, but only sparingly and not where they can ingest it.
Now I'm putting Wonder Dust on my list to get, thanks! Would surely have saved my purple spotted face, neck and arms! LOL! Flys won't go near it and neither will the other chickens once they taste it.

Back
Top Bottom