Help! Hen with bright red bottom

Eggbii

Hatching
Aug 22, 2018
Hi! I have a 2 year old Cochin hen that has a bright red bottom that sticks out. Her vent looks clean for the most part, but she has a bright red butt thats about the size of an apple. It’s soft and I already cleaned it up with water. She’s been laying regularly, and I’m really not sure how to approach treating her. I attached a picture of her butt, I took it while I was washing it so that’s why she’s so wet. Please help!

Attachments

• C0742FA3-7432-4A39-AE8C-95AEE846E502.jpeg
    C0742FA3-7432-4A39-AE8C-95AEE846E502.jpeg
    580.4 KB · Views: 28
It looks like a hernia. One of my hens got one at the same age as yours. She lived a little over two years with it, and finally died at four years old. If she is lucky and the hernia isn't too bad, you could get a few more years out of her. You could take her to a vet to have the hernia fixed, but putting a bird under anesthetic is risky and she might not come out alive. It's your decision though. You have to decide what you believe will be the best think for you and your chicken in the long run.

It looks like a hernia. One of my hens got one at the same age as yours. She lived a little over two years with it, and finally died at four years old. If she is lucky and the hernia isn't too bad, you could get a few more years out of her. You could take her to a vet to have the hernia fixed, but putting a bird under anesthetic is risky and she might not come out alive. It's your decision though. You have to decide what you believe will be the best think for you and your chicken in the long run.

I think you might be right, I looked it up and i think she might have a hernia. I live in Los Angeles and we have a quarantine in place for poultry, so taking her to the vet isn't an option right now. Do you have any advice on helping her be more comfortable with her hernia? Or is there anything I need to be more cautious about???

There really isn't much you can do. If you don't already have one, you can build a ramp up to the roost so she doesn't have to jump up or down from that height.
I would mostly just watch her though. Make sure she is pooping and her eggs are coming out. Also, make sure that the other chickens aren't pecking at her abdomen because it is so red.
I'm sorry you and your chicken have to go through this, but hopefully she can still live a few more years in peace and with no pain.
Make sure you spoil her with some good, nutritious treats!

Back
Top Bottom