Help! - hen with persistent diarrhea, no longer responding to corid

NH-McQs

Chirping
May 23, 2019
Hi,

I have a 2 1/2 year old hen with a pale comb and diarrhea. Have been treating her for weeks with corid (powder, 1.5 t per gallon). I had been putting vitamins in the water too until I read that it can interfere with the corid - not doing that anymore. Every time I stop the corid, the diarrhea returns. This time she doesn't seem to be responding to it. Bard rock, just finished a heavy molt. The rest of the flock is ok. She lost a lot of weight initially but has gained it back during the treatment. Any help you could provide is most welcome. Thank you!

Hi,

I have a 2 1/2 year old hen with a pale comb and diarrhea. Have been treating her for weeks with corid (powder, 1.5 t per gallon). I had been putting vitamins in the water too until I read that it can interfere with the corid - not doing that anymore. Every time I stop the corid, the diarrhea returns. This time she doesn't seem to be responding to it. Bard rock, just finished a heavy molt. The rest of the flock is ok. She lost a lot of weight initially but has gained it back during the treatment. Any help you could provide is most welcome. Thank you!
She could have worms whens the last time she was dewormed. That would be my next course

She could have worms whens the last time she was dewormed. That would be my next course
Thank you, I'll try that! I dewormed them in the summer - at that time I saw actual worms in the droppings but I haven't seen anything this time. I have ivermectin, is that what you would suggest?

Some parasites are resistant to ivermectin. It would be better to use Valbazen (albendazole) or Safeguard (fenbendazole), those will take care of most common parasites except some tapeworms. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or the horse paste is often available locally, Valbazen usually has to be mail ordered.

Some parasites are resistant to ivermectin. It would be better to use Valbazen (albendazole) or Safeguard (fenbendazole), those will take care of most common parasites except some tapeworms. Safeguard liquid goat wormer or the horse paste is often available locally, Valbazen usually has to be mail ordered.
Thank you so much for the reply. I'm starting her on Safeguard now, and I will order some Valbazen. I don't see it on Amazon or Chewy, and Tractor Supply only has a $500 bottle on their website. Do you have advice on where to shop for it? Thanks again!!

I usually get mine here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
Small bottle is currently $84.99 here, it won't ship to California.
The price of both Safeguard and Valbazen has gone up quite a bit in the last year, unfortunately. My last bottle of Valbazen was about 1/2 that price. :hit
A bottle lasts a long time. One can only hope prices will come back down.
The Safeguard will work however. Since you don't know exactly what parasite you are treating for I would dose the Safeguard at .23ml per pound of bird weight 5 days in a row.

Hi,

For all diarrhea and digestive-related diseases I trust coliflox. I used it to treat my chickens last year and within 4 days most of them had recovered. I have suggested Coliflox to several farmers who have had challenges with their chickens and I'm yet to come across a single farmer who says cdoliflox didn't get the job done after I suggested this poultry medication to them. If the problem persists, please consider giving Coliflox a try.

I usually get mine here:
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/valbazen-broad-spectrum-dewormer
Small bottle is currently $84.99 here, it won't ship to California.
The price of both Safeguard and Valbazen has gone up quite a bit in the last year, unfortunately. My last bottle of Valbazen was about 1/2 that price. :hit
A bottle lasts a long time. One can only hope prices will come back down.
The Safeguard will work however. Since you don't know exactly what parasite you are treating for I would dose the Safeguard at .23ml per pound of bird weight 5 days in a row.
Here is a more reasonable price for Valbazen:
https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail...MIy_ndz_L99AIVgZJbCh1JdwCMEAQYAyABEgJOcfD_BwE

Back
Top Bottom