help.. hens have diarrhea and sneezing

jazzkat

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
SW Washington
After reading other posts I realized I have made a grave mistake with my flock by introducing 3 new hens without quarantining them first. And yup, I have problems with my girls. I gave the group 4 days of sulmet recommended by the feed store, in their water and when I took them off of it they started showing signs of being sick. They have diarrhea, clear liquid to some with chochlate color and some that have a high amount of white urates in the stool. In addition, one hen has severe difficulty breathing, gurgels, several others are sneezing some with clear nasal discharge. One hen has one eye swollen almost shut, not sure if its a injury or part of what is happening. I took the sickest to the vet (aviary), very exspensive, and results were confusing. Vet is convinced of aspiration pheumonia, x-ray didnt show anything, or parasites, stool culture showed nothing, sent me home with penicillin for the pnemonia? and a dewormer for the potential parasites. Very exspensive but not very convincing. Im in deep do-do with the girls and need any help anyone can offer.

Thanks ddawn, I'll check the link out and see what I can find. Appreciate your help. I usually clean the coop daily but I think today I will clean the coop, water and feed dish with 1/10 bleach. I cant think of much else to help the girls. I very worried. Thanks again.

What ever happened to your flock? I had one sick chicken. We ended up culling her but now a couple others are acting similar. The sick one was a new chicken.

Back
Top Bottom