Help...Hens losing feathers.

KMoss1121

Hatching
Apr 18, 2017
Chesapeake, VA
I have 4 hens and they recently all started losing feathers around their tail feathers, some are worse than others and 2 are missing feathers on their underside by their butts. We have no roosters (100% positive), should be getting enough protein, and I haven't noticed them picking at each other. Each girl is laying everyday and aren't acting funny. I don't think its molting, not the season (I don't think). Maybe mites? we use a powder in their coop for mites and lice and clean it often. Any ideas or suggestions of what may be going on??? I'm worried. I apologize, the pictures aren't great but I couldn't get them to sit still for a good picture.

G’Day from down under KMoss1121
frow.gif
Welcome!

Sorry, I am not really able to tell by the images what is going on but I do not think I can see any pin feathers and agree that it might not be moulting.

I recommend posting some pictures on the ER Forum; the folks there sure do know there stuff and should be able to help out: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

You might want to also pop in and say hello on your local thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you ‘Find your State’s thread.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

DO you have one bird with all feathers intact? If so, that is probably the feather plucker. If not, I would examine them very closely for lice/mites. One of your birds does seem to show "rooster" damage on her back.

Do you have a suspected "rooster" lurking in the flock?

Back
Top Bottom