Help: Hens roosting in nest boxes

Thank you!
The one I have (and the one I commented on) I found on a buy/ sell/ trade board for a steal of a price. I looked around online though and found this that's comparable, but it's metal (mine is wooden). It's also available on Amazon if you search SummerHawk run extension
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/summerhawkranchmetalchickenpen.cfm?source=pla&kwid=ChickenCoops newskus&tid=DUNC022-1&adtype=pla&kw=&lsft=adtype:pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwMDAl4HC2wIVBhtpCh1qRg8tEAkYASABEgLmcPD_BwE

I use mine as a broder pen, confinement pen, and currently as an introduction pen. Our diy coop will be finished this weekend and the flock will be moving in Sunday. If I were going to attach it, it would be on the big swing up door, and to the removable wall of the run extension. Radiator hose clamps would be ideal because the thin ones will fit through the hardware cloth and around the frame ofthe coop run. Much more secure than industrial zip ties.View attachment 1421169
Please excuse my dog crate and tarp set up. I'm normally more decorative than this lol since it's a temporary intro set up, I figured I'm not going all out yet
ohhh okay!! I'm going to start searching!! Thanks soo much! It quickly became apparent to me that even with 4 this "6-8 chicken coop" is nowhere near enough for my babies!!!

Update on changes I have done. I moved the roosting bars and put a block over the nesting boxes. I am crossing my fingers that it works!!

New roosts are going the other direction and higher up!
YOu might put straw or chips under so they don't track poop onto roost! But maybe that doesn't bother you!

There is a light weight board that should encourage the chickens to not sleep in nest boxes.

There is still lots of head room in the nest box area and I can reach in easily

I have a similar prefab and did the same with adding higher roosting bars. But I also took the nesting box door off....made my own external nesting boxes to make more room inside and re-used the nesting box door! I also made two extended rooflines over the windows so they could stay open all the time with our Florida heat and keep rain out. I should have just built my own coop! Lol

@fightingbunny, how is you roost modification holding up?
Hopefully the tag brings them back, but....
upload_2019-11-21_11-14-15.png

Back
Top Bottom