Help: Hens roosting in nest boxes

We are almost done with the new coop. It is taking forever! One of the reasons it is taking so long is that I also did not know much and we are learning as we build.

That’s good to hear. There is always hope for me then. Guess I will be practicing on my sawing/cutting skills in my down time this fall and winter. :D

I wanted to test a theory of mine and it worked. My birds poop all over the ramp up to the nesting boxes so I slathered petroleum jelly all over it after cleaning it up and now the poop comes right off instead of drying completely and sticking to the board. I was worried that the jelly might cause things to stick to their feet but it hasn't been a problem at all. Also, I've noticed that their feet no longer get chapped since it's winter and they were having an issue with cracked skin.
Two birds...one stone. Lol.

GEDC0207.JPG

Is there an easy solution to help the chickens want to roost on the bars and not in the nests?

You might try using milk crates as nest boxes ( similar to the photo of my coop). I have a 4"board zip tied in place to keep the eggs from rolling out (not shown).
Filling a empty feed bag with grass or hay and stuffing it in nest box to keep them from roosting there until they are ready to lay might help your problem once you get milk crates in place.

For years I have been lining my nest boxes with the folded empty nylon mesh feed bags.

Chickens poop in nest boxes get used to it.

When a bag gets soiled pop out the soiled and pop in another. Poop just peels off in below freezing temperatures and just flakes off when left out in the sun to bake and dry. It is the best method I have stumbled upon in my 67 trips around the sun.

Oh! Remove the excess string from the open end of the bag it can get tangled in your birds legs and wings.
Easy Peasy Japaneasy.

Last edited:
Hi!
Not trying to Hijack... but I got some of my ideas from this thread.
I have this same coop! I just got done re-enforceing it adding a door to the coop and adding the other run extension. So now my run is 12 foot (well 11 ft and 9 inch) x by 40 inch. I have 6 chicks but one is a Roo so I will have to re-home him. Anyone have and suggestions on what else I should do?

I also got this coop and extension. I know this is a great old post, but I was wondering if its working working out alright for your 6? I have 3and thinkit's a bit small inside the coop. Run seems fine, but the coop looks cramped with 3 black australorps

Hi Nasr9!!
I have this same coop. Could you tell me where you purchased the run extension? I need one!!

Thanks!

Hi!
Not trying to Hijack... but I got some of my ideas from this thread.
I have this same coop! I just got done re-enforceing it adding a door to the coop and adding the other run extension. So now my run is 12 foot (well 11 ft and 9 inch) x by 40 inch. I have 6 chicks but one is a Roo so I will have to re-home him. Anyone have and suggestions on what else I should do?

I also got this coop and extension. I know this is a great old post, but I was wondering if its working working out alright for your 6? I have 3and thinkit's a bit small inside the coop. Run seems fine, but the coop looks cramped with 3 black australorps

Could you tell me where you got your extension? I purchased my coop from TSC and don't see a compatible run for the brand. Please help!!

It's that EXACT one. I love your setup btw!! :)
Thank you!
The one I have (and the one I commented on) I found on a buy/ sell/ trade board for a steal of a price. I looked around online though and found this that's comparable, but it's metal (mine is wooden). It's also available on Amazon if you search SummerHawk run extension
https://www.hayneedle.com/product/summerhawkranchmetalchickenpen.cfm?source=pla&kwid=ChickenCoops newskus&tid=DUNC022-1&adtype=pla&kw=&lsft=adtype:pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwMDAl4HC2wIVBhtpCh1qRg8tEAkYASABEgLmcPD_BwE

I use mine as a broder pen, confinement pen, and currently as an introduction pen. Our diy coop will be finished this weekend and the flock will be moving in Sunday. If I were going to attach it, it would be on the big swing up door, and to the removable wall of the run extension. Radiator hose clamps would be ideal because the thin ones will fit through the hardware cloth and around the frame ofthe coop run. Much more secure than industrial zip ties.
20180607_203725.jpg

Please excuse my dog crate and tarp set up. I'm normally more decorative than this lol since it's a temporary intro set up, I figured I'm not going all out yet

Back
Top Bottom