Help! Hens with sour crop, they are getting THINNER!

cuteychickens15

Songster
Aug 7, 2015
Hi,
I have four BO hens that seem to have sour crop, one of them is getting quite skinny and light now, she is lighter than the others but the other hens still have lost weight (although one looks featherier/bigger than usual?).

I alternate their water with an Apple Cider Vinegar and Lifeguard Poultry Tonic. I have been putting the powder of digestive enzyme capsules (to hopefully break down bungled up grass that might be blocking them up) in with some natural yogurt and give it to the hens, they seem to love it but the smallest one doesn't seem to want to eat any more of it today.

The hens don't seem lethargic but their crops are the same in the morning, they aren't empty, they are mostly liquid inside.

What do I do? They don't seem to be getting better.

Thanks

You need to kill the yeast. Poultry grade Acidified Copper Sulfate in their water is the way to go if they’ll drink it. Otherwise an OTC vaginal yeast infection cream (they have to eat it). If you figure out which way you want to go, we can help you with dosing. The copper sulfate will be easier and more economical.

4 at one time? Are you sure you are dealing with sour crop?
I had 1 with it, I tried everything, but sadly she didn't make it. I finally started giving her yeast infection suppositories.

You need to kill the yeast. Poultry grade Acidified Copper Sulfate in their water is the way to go if they’ll drink it. Otherwise an OTC vaginal yeast infection cream (they have to eat it). If you figure out which way you want to go, we can help you with dosing. The copper sulfate will be easier and more economical.
I searched for Poultry grade Acidified Copper Sulfate and I couldn't find any results for UK delivery (I live in the UK) but I came across this, please let me know if this is suitable:
https://www.viovet.co.uk/Battles-Co...R3j5JeG8VFxgfWh-dT0Ldzi1P6XjaTI4aAqHAEALw_wcB

Thanks

My one and only question is this...do they have access to fresh, clear water or does every water swap have something in it?
They were having fresh tap water up until Thursday (when I got Lifeguard poultry tonic delivered) and from there, I was swapping between that and ACV ( FAQ page for the poultry tonic said to swap between them).

4 at one time? Are you sure you are dealing with sour crop?
I had 1 with it, I tried everything, but sadly she didn't make it. I finally started giving her yeast infection suppositories.
They all seem to have loose, saggy crops with liquid inside of them. Sour crop came up after searching the symptoms.

Feeling their crops today, the liquid seems to have gone, they seem to all have food pellets in there. The pellets are in a compact ball. Maybe it wasn't sour crop?

Back
Top Bottom